Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,I just picked up a 1992 blaster with a YZ490 motor in it,traded a couple 10"subs and an old amp for it....Ill get a few pictures up tomorrow,it LOOKS STOCK,except one frame rail has been cut to clear the pipe,which Ill fit better and re-install the framerail...the YZ motor already fooled 3 guys who have owned blasters,first glance(and 2nd and even third glance from one of them),they thought it was a 200,it looks like the Trenga head....hmmm this could be fun...Ill have it running by Sunday night....the the Banshee parts will start flying in its general direction,axle,spindles,brakes,and whatever else will fit...my Banshee is looking pretty scared sitting next to its little,or actually BIG brother....if its not raining the pics will be here tomorrow

·
2stroke and DSM junkie
701 Posts
ahh YOU SUCK, I want mine to have that much power :(.....o well good job with the trade, I can never find ANY body to trade me something like that...freakin sux for me, I REALLY wanna c these pics.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well,all I can say is keep looking,in the last couple years,Ive picked up 6 1987-89 Banshees,all less than 200 bucks apiece,none were running,but all were at least very close to complete rollers,and 2 had motors,but didnt run...so in your travels,if you can find one of the 490 motors,or if I remember right,the 465s looked very similar,other than the missing frame upright,it does look stock,and looks like an easy swap,mine has a very nice(NOT) flat black paint job,but a trip to the shop for some fresh powder will fix all that,the guy who had it tore it down,had the cylinder rebuilt,and could not get it running after ,and had no idea why...I checked and found no spark,so the speakers and amp were traded,a quick check found no key on the crankshaft,someone forgot that little piece of metal....Ill have one saturday morning,and should be riding it sunday,to see how it does,I have a pretty built Banshee,so it has a lot to live up to,but I did ride a YZ490 back when I had no fear of 2 wheels,I think that bike put the fear in me...anyway,dont be afraid to offer someone a ridiculous trade,or cash offer,they might just take it....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nice... cant wait to see some pics. That thing is gonna rock.

·
Taking Names...
3,441 Posts
haha dude thats pretty cool sounds like you got a deal too. Too bad the 490 motors liked to detonate alot lol...if I'de swap the blaster out it would be for a yz250 motor

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's quite a project you got there. Have fun.

·
Taking Names...
3,441 Posts
looks pretty cool dude

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes,the exhaust is junk....I think it might be a facory silencer off an old (85 maybe) quadracer sort of welded to the 490 expansion chamber,with some flex pipe thrown in for that Maine back woods flair....I have a right side out of frame drag pipe off a friends banshee that Im going to try to match to the cylinder...but that will kill the sleeper look...I got it to fire today,but it has some carb problems,from sitting Id say,so monday will bring a rebuild kit,and probably a Banshee rear end,and maybe the front spindles and brakes,if I have enough energy after work...

·
Taking Names...
3,441 Posts
sounds pretty cool dude. I want to get a banshee rear axle, banshee hubs, spindles and hubs in the front, and get its disc brakes also...and probably have a friend fab up the rear brake kit for me...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,a makeshift crankshaft key,and it was under way......this thing is nuts!!!! Only problem now is I have noticed a crack in the clutch cover,and a pretty good amount of oil from that little hairline....so off it comes tonight,(I was going to polish it anyway) A quick blast from the TIG machine,a little grinding,and I should be in business...I need the right crank key,and Ive got to get rid of the stock A-arms ( I already put my stock 01 Banshee axle and part of the rear brakes on...it is WAY too short and narrow,it felt like it would wheelie over at 50mph(where I let off it,my lawn is big,but not that big),and I dont know what the piston is (supposed to be a new topend,the compression feels like it),but it likes the race fuel,not a problem,my Banshee does too...Ill try to get a couple action pics,maybe an asphalt burnout too,it pulls harder than my "bolt-on buffet" Banshee has so far,maybe Ill put the 490 in one of my 87 frames...??..??

·
Taking Names...
3,441 Posts
ahahaha hell whatever works lol. Sucks about the clutch cover but hey if you got the tools and skills to fix it, why not?

·
Registered
884 Posts
damn, i would call that a sleeper for just a good running blaster. It looks like it has had better days. Hell if you have a full roller banshee i'd say just put it in there. But then again the stock looking blaster would be a killer sleeper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,I just picked up a 1992 blaster with a YZ490 motor in it,traded a couple 10"subs and an old amp for it....Ill get a few pictures up tomorrow,it LOOKS STOCK,except one frame rail has been cut to clear the pipe,which Ill fit better and re-install the framerail...the YZ motor already fooled 3 guys who have owned blasters,first glance(and 2nd and even third glance from one of them),they thought it was a 200,it looks like the Trenga head....hmmm this could be fun...Ill have it running by Sunday night....the the Banshee parts will start flying in its general direction,axle,spindles,brakes,and whatever else will fit...my Banshee is looking pretty scared sitting next to its little,or actually BIG brother....if its not raining the pics will be here tomorrow
How did you rout your clutch cable?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts