Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
YFZ450 front shocks will work on an 87-92 Quadracer.

I installed them with +2 A-arms so I don't know how they well they will work with stock arms but I'm guessing they would work just fine. The YFZ450 shocks are almost a half inch shorter than 400ex shocks so they are really close to the same length as stock LT250r shocks.

They bolt into the bottom shock mounts with no modification needed. You will need to grind some on the upper portion of the shock where it bolts in to allow it to fit in the upper shock mount. Took just a couple minutes to grind enough off to get them to fit.

Very easy swap. Not as good of an upgrade as aftermarket shocks, but they are major improvement over the stock shocks.

·
PLAYTIME'S OVER BITCHES!!
13,056 Posts
nice price on them shocks. got some pics of them mounted up? for a stock shock, they are nice ones. i havent put any on a banshee yet, but i do like them on my YFZ.

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictures

Here are some pictures for you guys. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

The a-arms in the pictures are +2 Burgards.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
and to think i was gonna make custom made a arms to fit honda shocks, now i'll just make em to fit the YFZ shocks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and to think i was gonna make custom made a arms to fit honda shocks, now i'll just make em to fit the YFZ shocks
The YFZ 450 shocks will work with stock 87-92 a-arms. They will bolt into the bottom a-arm shock mount with no modification needed.

LT250r shocks, 400ex/450r, and yfz450 shocks all have the same size bottom mount.

400ex shocks work with the stock lt250r a-arms but they cause the bike to sit a little high. Honda 450r shocks are even longer than the 400ex shocks so they would cause the bike to sit even higher.

If you make custom a-arms and use the same dimensions for the shock mount on the bottom a-arm, then you will be able to use the lt250r, 400ex, or yfz450 shocks.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Good post, not to hijack it but i have always wondered if theres a rear shock that will swap out, my rear is a pogo stick and have bought 2 used ones on ebay and they were both junk, any newer bikes that will work?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i think that i heard that the banshee rear will work, i'm not sure at all though :)

·
1986 Honda TRX 250r
2,613 Posts
nice job man, looks great. How does it ride?

by the way, sportin them quad magazine shock covers huh? lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good post, not to hijack it but i have always wondered if theres a rear shock that will swap out, my rear is a pogo stick and have bought 2 used ones on ebay and they were both junk, any newer bikes that will work?
Yes... I know for a fact that a banshee shock will fit on the rear of a 87-90 quadracer. If the 85-86 have the same rear shock, then the banshee shock will fit on those years as well.

The rezzie on a stock banshee shock is mounted to the shock and i cant remember if the rezzie will interfere with the airbox or not. I installed one on a 87 lt250r when I was having the quadracer shock rebuilt. My bike didn't have an airbox so I dont remember if it will hit the airbox or not.

If you do some research on some yamaha forums and find some other oem shocks that work for the banshee then there is a very good possibility that the shock would also work for the quadracer. The mounts are the same, no modifications needed.

The big problem is that the stock banshee shocks are known to be crap... no offense banshee owners... Maybe the newer year banshees have better shocks. I really dont know so a banshee shock might not be an upgrade at all. They are also slightly shorter so they will lower the rear of your bike. Try to find a shock that fits the banshee from a yfz450 or something. Thats your best bet.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Yes... I know for a fact that a banshee shock will fit on the rear of a 87-90 quadracer. If the 85-86 have the same rear shock, then the banshee shock will fit on those years as well.

The rezzie on a stock banshee shock is mounted to the shock and i cant remember if the rezzie will interfere with the airbox or not. I installed one on a 87 lt250r when I was having the quadracer shock rebuilt. My bike didn't have an airbox so I dont remember if it will hit the airbox or not.

If you do some research on some yamaha forums and find some other oem shocks that work for the banshee then there is a very good possibility that the shock would also work for the quadracer. The mounts are the same, no modifications needed.

The big problem is that the stock banshee shocks are known to be crap... no offense banshee owners... Maybe the newer year banshees have better shocks. I really dont know so a banshee shock might not be an upgrade at all. They are also slightly shorter so they will lower the rear of your bike. Try to find a shock that fits the banshee from a yfz450 or something. Thats your best bet.
Thanks for the advice, i know banshee shocks arent the greatest, but it's like almost impossible for me to find a LT shock that is not blown, so I think i will try a banshee shock and see, anything has got to be better then my pogo stick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey I know this is a really old post. But I am currently in the process of doing this exact same set up my bike and I would really like to know how the yfz450 front shocks feel on the lt250r. I would also like to know how much grinding needs to be done on the shocks to make them fit. Do I just need a grinding wheel on my angle grinder to make them fit or will I need a cut off wheel to really remove some material. Any help would really appreciated. This seems like this is the only place I have seen any information on doing this modification

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I already got a set of yfz450 shocks on there way and plus I heard the z400 shocks are to long and wont fit. I wanted to get a shock that was as close to the size of the stock shocks. That I way I would not mess up the geometry of the suspension and put alot of extra stress on the balljoints. The Yfz450 shocks are only .25 inches longer then the original stock shocks and are one of the best factory shocks available. Plus I have rode a yfz450 with them and it rode like a dream just soaking everything up so I am hoping to have some what of a similar ride with the new set up. Plus I figure anything has to be better then the 20yr old shocks that came on it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I ended putting YFZ450 shocks on my 87 LT250 with stock A-arms.Also just mounted them on 87 250 hybrid with +2 A-arms.Gotta wait till next season to go to the MX track and set them up...I did take the shocks to a local shop and had them machine the top mount portion to make sure equal amounts were removed on each side ...They mounted up great...Haven't had a chance to set them up perfectly for the track but so far no complaints...

If I get a chance to take some pics I will post some up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts