Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i live in western pennsylvania im looking for a new quad and there is a lot of banshees for sale i found one for 900 bucks needs a stator but i can fix that but what im worried about is everyone says they are sand quads and not to mess with them in the woods i wanted some opinions so let me know what you think i do a lot of gncc type trails lots of turns hills trees roots and some fields so i need a second opionion thanks

·
PLAYTIME'S OVER BITCHES!!
13,056 Posts
gearing is a good place to start on a woods/trail banshee. most people will gear them a bit lower than stock so they dont have to work the gearbox as much in the tight stuff, but you will sacrafice some topend speed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i ride at a former top contenders track(curtis Crump) and he used to be real good in the woods with his banshee,Kim Kulne(?) used to ride a banshee as well,just have to know how to set them up

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im on a budget of less than 900 so just the quad alone would empty me i have two choices this or a completly redone 240cc blaster

·
13,056 Posts
im on a budget of less than 900 so just the quad alone would empty me i have two choices this or a completly redone 240cc blaster
how does the blasty fit you? the banshee has alot more room to move around on, thats deffinatly important for woods riding, because you are usually all over the seat workin the bike with your body.
if your a tall person then i dont think the blasty will do it for you. if the banshee is a good runner and your on a budget, sprokets are cheep!!!

·
Old School but still Cool
2,843 Posts
I use mine for trails all the time and haven't had any real problems yet. It isn't the best quad for trails, but can be adapted to be suitable for trail use.
1) lower the gearing
2) advance the timing
3) go with Pro Circuit exhausts

Later on get the cylinders cleaned up for trail use when you go to rebuild the top end.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im 5'10" about 140 pounds so im really not that big of a kid and the price looks really good for the banshee but i am moving up from a utility quad so i dont know if i want all that power just yet hahah first time ive ever said that what do you think?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
well for $900 if it's in decent shape.. at least buy it and resale it haha.. but honestly 900 sounds "too cheap" for a stator problem but sometimes you get lucky

personally I'm a BIG guy I'm a little under 6ft tall but I'm over 200lbs and I honestly think I had more fun on my blaster than I did my banshee.. just because for a little bike it has enough power to throw it around.. and mine was stock.. I'd love a built blaster with a longer swingarm... or just a blaster like Pauli B's

·
13,056 Posts
that makes sense but how big of a deal is swapping a stator
swapping a stator is one of the easiest things you can do. just need a flywheel puller and a little mechanical ability and in about 30min you'll be done.

·
DEY TUK ER JUBBS
3,224 Posts
what about motor mods on this banshee? if its all stock then I would leave it this way and worry about the power last. if you only plan on doing woods riding/racing then I would invest in these parts in this order:

1) good tires
2) aftermarket shocks (ebay is your friend :) )
3) skid plates
4) everything else

a banshee has more than enough power for the woods even in stock form, and if you aint got the tires to make it hook and go then your just waisting money investing in motor mods. the stock banshee shocks suck, especially the fronts. you can find a decent pair of used works shocks anywhere from 150 to 250$, and these will help out a great deal in handling in rough sections of the trails. skid plates arnt mandatory, but think of it as insurance for your bike.

·
Registered
252 Posts
yeah buy some tires and maybe a set of front shocks before you start thinking about power.If you have the money its hard to beat the traction of a good set of performance radial tires for the woods,they do wear rather quickly though but they will help a banshee hook up,i love'em on mine.Yours may be just a coil or spark plug boot and not the stator...who knows

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys its a 2003 and from what he says it is all stock i dont have to much detail about it just a thought in my mind right now but i know what im getting my self into if i buy the blaster ive rode with it many days before as it was my friend who then traded for a ktm 250 but now its for sale again so i dont know if i should go safe or go for the deal on a banshee what do you think guys and once again ive never owned a sport quad just a 400 4x4 i use for mudding

·
Supporting Member
352 Posts
I would personally take the banshee over the blaster.

Like everyone else has mentioned, replacing the stator is not a big deal at all. I would look the quad over really good though. I would check motor compression at the least.

If you do buy it, when you pull the flywheel take above advice and purchase a flywheel puller. Do not try to use a 3 jaw puller..

·
Registered
469 Posts
go with the Banshee! best quad ive ever ridden. more then enough power and pretty roomy too. get a good pair of rear tires like ITP holeshot`s of some sort and some FMF Gnarly pipes for low end/midrange power right where you want it for woods riding. shocks would be a plus too. stator is a easy fix too. good luck man!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Banshee all the way. I have some 20X11X9 Razr's with 70-80% tread for $75 shipped if you need some rears right away.

·
Premium Member
20,428 Posts
$900 is a great price for a good condition Banshee! Will take it over a Blaster any day.
An all stock Banshee is not too much power to handle, upgrade your HP as needed, the aftermarket world for these Banshees is huge!!!!!
Find out why that stator went out and if caused any other electrical damage, check that flywheel too!

Ask Morph if a Banshee is too much for woods, and he has his powerhouse beefed up all around and going bigger too!
I stretched out my banshee all around for some dune action but she does well on the trails as well..
A bit tuffer to throw around but rather do that than struggle in the sand.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I'd get the banshee, $900 is a steal, but I've taken my blaster some places that I think it would be pretty tough to get a banshee through, me and Hal were riding at my stepdads place in KY and going through the woods there were some really tight spots and we were constantly having to go over fallen trees that were sometimes about 20", the blaster being so light and having good low end power makes it great for tight trails.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts