Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of it? I have this kit in a 400ex chassis apartenly ohlins teamed up with noleen racing back in the day to make this? It consists of a 360 powervalved big bore cylinder and a ohlins connceting rod my motor is a wr 250 i think a 93(back when they were still 2 strokes) i also have a noleen pipe and silecer and it uses a cr 500 carb . Sounds weird I know just wanted to see if anyone had any info on this kit like how it performs reliablty stuff like that. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
a friend of mine had one back in the day. it made good power but vibrated a lot

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice, some pretty rare stuff there .. cant wait for a ride report ... like to see some build pics
You can still get most of the parts from Noleen but you can't get the jug.

I believe the kit uses a 79 yz400 piston 82mm & a yz465/490 rod ... guess you could call it a long rod motor since the 490 rod is 10mm longer than the 250 :)

a friend of mine had one back in the day. it made good power but vibrated a lot
If it's thrown together without some serious balancing it's gonna shake ... check the weight difference in some of the moving parts below.
BTW: I weighed the parts so it's not exact, but it's a close reference

crank pin yz250 6.2 oz. - yz490 8.6 oz.

rod yz250 6.9 oz. - yz490 10.6 oz.

piston yz250 8.5 oz. - yz400 10.9 oz.

wrist pin yz250 1.6 oz .- yz400 2.1 oz.

Total yz250 23.2 oz. - yz360 32.2 oz.

Difference + 9.0 oz. :shock4:

I like hybrids & I'm tuned in for this one
Good Luck ...

Reactions: volfan537240

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks ... I got a special interest in this one :Grin:

To give Y'all a perspective here's an .80 over 250, a 310 I had sleeved for a Kaw sled piston back in the day & the Ohlins 360 ... it's a monster for a water cooled Yamaha ... can't wait for a ride report!
~

~

( Ignore the cc discrepancy ... I stroked the crank )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got off the phone with one of the guys at noleen today he told me I have a pretty nice score lol. Its a pain to start so went thu the carb its clean got to looking at the reeds and the left side has a crack in it. I talked to them and they said id have to buy the whole reed block assembly :( does anyone know what reeds they used? These things are massive. I forgot to ask them about jetting also so i need to find that out. When i find my iphone cable ill throw some more pics up of the motor. Also does anyone have any info on the pipe? It looks brand new its not beat up no chrome flacking looks awesome.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's the old 6 bolt reed cage from the 80's ... not much aftermarket stuff for them ... You should be able to buy replacement reeds for a 88 yz250 ... I made an adapter to use the newer 4 bolt cage so I'd have reed options

From what I've read the 93 Noleen pipe was the best commercial pipe available for the Ohlins 360 ... I've never found one ... but I'd prolly just hack it up anyway ... LOL ... that's a treasure

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know ive got alot of work to do . My plans motor wise is to build get the cases painted and the cylinder polished fix the jacked up kicker extension make a air box and boot for the cr500 carb if i decided to use it still trying to figure that one out.

As for the rest of the quad im gonna replace the subframe its jacked up. seat cover bead locks xc a arms better shocks antivibe stem and powder coat the chassis still figuring out what color Im going for ill think about that when I get to it. This build will take me awhile me and my wife just found out where having twins so hopefully she will let me do this build lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Im hoping as long as i can afford but we all know how it goes money pits lol. Thanks were pretty happy there boys so i can't wait to have two little grease monkey's that I can pass on the sport too. My little girl has a lt80 that I was planning on building for her but I was told she doesn't want to ride quads she wants a pony now lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always say I going to do a cheap build but it never ends up that way . Ive 2 lt 250rs a 87 Tecate 4 im on my second 250r a 4mill banshee a 2008 ktm 450 xc atv and none of them have ever went the cheap route lol thats most likely why im SOL with this build I always see something I can improve that my problem i guess. Ive let her ride it shes kinda of scared of it I guess. So who knows

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ohlins360

Hi there.

The porting on the intake looks a little different on that OHLINs cylinder. and how come it's 375cc? Have you got a base plate?

Also as you are a lucky bastard who has the Nolleen pipe......How about lending it back to Noleen and they can remake them for us who have this cylinder????

To give Y'all a perspective here's an .80 over 250, a 310 I had sleeved for a Kaw sled piston back in the day & the Ohlins 360 ... it's a monster for a water cooled Yamaha ... can't wait for a ride report!
~

~

( Ignore the cc discrepancy ... I stroked the crank )[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
192 Posts
how come it's 375cc? Have you got a base plate?
[/QUOTE]

It's a 82mm bore .. I stroked the crank 4mm so it's a 72mm stroke .. think that comes out around 380cc but I just liked the sound of 375 .. rather boast under than over :) .. made a .080 base spacer so TDC is bout the same & worked the ports down from there ... I'd like to get my hands on that pipe too .. LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts