Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had this issue since I got the bike. The plates are flat, no grooving in the clutch basket, changed oil, checked clutch lifter mechanism, but still the clutch plates seem to stick together. If the bike is in gear and I pull the clutch, I still can't roll the bike. What's going on? The only thing I can think of is that the fluid in there keeps the friction disks and the metal disks somewhat stuck together. My Honda service manual says to use SAE 10W-40 or equivalent, which I've used, and before that I believe gear oil was in it. Should I use a thinner oil like ATF, and maybe the plates will spin freely when no clutch pressure is applied?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I run the Honda HP 80/85w gear oil in all of our bikes.
When you put new clutches in did you soak them in oil? I have seen many people put them in dry and have similar problems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have a cr80 with the same problem. It goes away once the engine has warmed up. Might also check and possibly adjust the clutch rod at the pressure plate.
Also look at the actuator arm and see if it is worn where the rod rides on it. If so it can be replaced or welded up and ground back to stock specs.

Almost forgot to ask if it is hydraulic or manual cable actuated,
Of course cable adjustment, or master/slave cylinder function, air in lines etc. as well as slightly different actuator function. May come into play depending on the system.

I typically run either valvoline 20-w50 ATV or Generic 30weight non detergent when I know I will be changing it almost immediately. I change it every 2-4 tanks or around ten to 15 hours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts