Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't followed atv's much since getting my Banshee but it seems Suzuki ended the LTR450. Honda hasn't updated their 450 on their own website in years and same with the Kawasaki 450. KTM's atv got axed along with the Can-AM. It seem's Yamaha is the only company making an updated 450.

Suzuki's dirt bike line is not getting updates either and the plague seems to be starting there also. Arctic Cat is moving away from Suzuki engines in their snowmobiles.

If I had to predict the outcome of Suzuki meeting it's end as a bankrupt company because all signs from the industry seem to be pointing to it.

What can save the industry and turn it around? 2t's had their heyday in the 90's, 4t's in the 00's but what will push technology and innovation from here? Or will less changes and discontinues happen till nothing is left but utility quads and side x sides.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
In my opinion there are a lot of factors to the apparent decline of the sport quad. The current young generation that sport quads were always aimed at is not as interested in off road vehicles as past generations. They seem to be more in to the next new smart phone or game system than anything.

PRICE! New sport quads are way over priced in my opinion. Come On!! 8 grand for a new 450 that will maybe last 2 riding seasons before needing a crankshaft, cylinder head and piston. My local craigslist is littered with these time bombs that the owners can't hardly give away. After losing that much money the want for a sport machine is gone. High maintenance and replacement parts cost has killed the high performance quad segment.

SXS's. In my area everyone seems to be going to side x sides. People buy them and put about a 1000 miles on them, get tired of making payments on a 15k or more toy and try to sell them for almost the same price you can buy a new one for!

Loss of riding areas. In my area all of the local ride spots that we had when I was young are gone. The days of riding without packing up and trailering for an hour to get to a ride area are over.

Suzuki seems to abandoning the off road sector and focusing on road bikes. Kawasaki is more than happy to keep cashing in on there sxs's and just keep dropping less profitable models as the years go on. I would not be surprised to see Honda drop their 450 quad in the next few years as they focus more on new sxs models. Yamaha seems to be the only holdout with their 450R and Raptor 700. I suspect they'll be the last ones making a sport quad in the future.

Not sure what could bring back the sport quad segment......makes me long for the mid to late 80's when new high performance atvs came out almost every year.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Things have really changed in our lifetimes. You folks may have different ideas but from what I see is overpopulation. I have to go to the office before 6:00 am to avoid the traffic; how many people risk their lives going to work on a cycle like we used to. Too damn many people IMO
JT
:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
208 Posts
If new 450s on last 2 seasons who on earth but the rich who would waste their money. Heck I could beat the hell out of my 84 Honda 200 atc and it would work year after year after year. It sounds like a decline in quality is whats killing them. On the other hand snowmobiles are increasing in popularity especially with Polaris and Ski Doo (brp) as they have new stuff to add at least every 2 years.

I agree JT, too many people out there including those morons who talk/text on their phones.

·
Registered
104 Posts
People work more for less money.
Carry way more over head.
Shift from "gear head toys" to low cost "tech toys", that don't need a loan just monthly payment and a 2 year contract.
Way more rules when you ride.
Way less places to ride (goes with JT thought only off road)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys and I couldn't agree more on the less and less places to ride. For me it's been unfortunate the increase of utility quads because they really rut out the trails and imo destroy good riding area's.

Seems Polaris jumped out of the sport quad segment also. The real chance I think us two stroke riders would get a new sport quad died when KTM pulled out. It had to be either them or Can-Am with the tech to bring a DI 2t into the sports quad world.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
"FEARNOT"...I see from your tag, that you live in N.Y.
Like I said, I totally agree that there are NO legal places to ride ! That being said... Why buy a Brand New "Way Over Priced" quad or dirtbike when you can't ride it ?

We live on the "Right Side" of the U.S. where there aren't too many options due to "Over Population" and no actual Legal places to ride unless you want to drive well, in where I'm located..4 Hours !

I had about at least a half of dozen places to ride, especially in New Jersey but... It takes just one A$$hole riding without a helmet, getting hurt, then Sueing the land owner... in which he had no permission to ride in the first place, To ruin it for the rest of us.

In another post, I stated that I had gotten injured but, being it was my own stupid mistake.. I never pursued any compensation thru a lawsuit because this is a dangerous sport as where you can just slip off the bike and injure yourself.

However, You just need just " 1...ONE.." Jerk-off who is "Suit Happy " that ruins it for the others that just want to go riding for the day and have fun.

The Idea of purchasing a $7- $8,000 quad isn't even in my realm being... why would you spend at least 8 hours round trip driving just to get one full day of riding the quad or dirtbike you financed cause unless you saved all your pennies up to pay in full...you are paying monthly installments, in which I think..by the time it's payed off, it's gonna be of no value.

Sorry to be negative but, like posted above... Over population, carelessness, and the over priced atvs are hurting this sport....For Sure!

Joe

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Around here the dirtbike side of the industry seems to be doing well. I do agree all bikes and atv's are over priced.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It started with the tree huggers being against 2s. Thus you have to employ all the tricks to make a 4poke run with a smaller smoker.
Technoligy costs. Don't forget the lawers too. Every product has to pass them (to a point) as liability issues.
When I bought my Elsinore, you could ride the powerlines and any little trail in the woods in N. Mich. and no stickers needed. Now all there is is some trails in certain areas.

Overpopulation too. Supposedly there is an RV park going in near Holly, which is NW of DEEtroit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts