Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1986 Honda CR250R for $300, needs work but meh, i got time. I was woundering what the R ment in CR250R. Is it road? It also says it has liquid cooled tires and rims...??? I would love a spec sheet if someone has one!!!
Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
not sure if it mean race or not but the cr250r is a MX bike, and no there is not a cr250 and a cr250r, they are both the same bikes just sometimes people dont list the R when they advertise it. Depending on what it all needs it may not be worth your time, if its something simple then go for it but a bike that old needing a lot of work is pointless, things add up quick when you start pricing, I know a lot of people who bought older bikes cause they were cheap and needed work and when said and done they could of got a bike a lot newer and prob still of saved some money.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It means race. Was talking to a dealer and he said it means race, racer, or raceing. Any honda 2 stoke should have the R, and they do.

·
Registered
240 Posts
ak_47_boy said:
it says that it just needs engine rebuild, i figure about another 300 bucks and some time
what kind of engine rebuild? If its just the top end it could be something simple and cheap but if it needs bored, plated, etc or even a bottom end I would say its prob not worth it in the long run

·
the gimpster
2,607 Posts
yeah the r means nothing really. its just a modle #. all the cr's have the r after the cc#. hell even my 87 50 is an r and its far from a race bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
CR250M - air cooled MX bike - prior to '81
CR250R - water cooled MX bike - '81- present
CRM250R - RC valved, ECM controlled oil injected dual purpose bike - japanese model (many people use them for Motard)

RC125M - factory "Works" MX bike
RC250M - factory "Works" MX bike
RC500M - factory "Works" MX bike

I checked Honda USA and Honda Japan to verify my info before posting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 86' CR250R was actually a good bike at the time. It was rated high for having the new cartridge forks. I had one and loved it. But be realistic, it is 20 years old. If it is in decent shape and your just looking for something to ride, then it may be worth the 300 bucks. Check around for parts prices and availability before you buy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did some more research!! The first CR250R debuted in 1977 and it replaced the CR250M. The R version had better suspension, a revised tranny, a revised cylinder, a larger 36mm carb, larger brakes that were lighter (drum f/r), plus more.

'77 air cooled CR250R

1980 Nov 20 CR250R press release - 41.0hp @ 7,500rpm - 246cc motor ('81 model)

2004 Nov 22 CR250R press release - 59.0hp @ 8,000rpm - 249.3cc motor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts