Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the other day I held my Zilla wide open for a little to long and now my water pump is leaking out the weep hole. I have a few questions.
1) How do you get the shaft/propeller combo out without messing up the fins?
2) Would I need to just replace the seals or is anything else I should check for?
3) Does anyone know of a site where I can buy a rebuild kit for the water pump, I have been looking but unable to find a complete kit.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it big, easier to see everything. I have the cover off and number 7 seal is still intact. I am pretty sure I will need to get number 13+14 to fix the problem, suggestions on other parts I will need? Also how do you get number 15 off without messing up the blades on number 12. Thanks

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I've never taken a lt500r's water pump apart but if someone on the site with a clymers handy should be able to post the tolerances to torque and steps to remove your parts properly if it doesn't cost out of your budget I'd replace all the seals to the waterpump is they are old. Good luck with the rebuild.

·
Banned
644 Posts
your better off to just replace all the seals...i did the same thing only replaced the ones i though i needed to and ended up tearin it apart again..
as far as getting the bolt off of the impeller or getting 15 off of 12 take your clutch cover off and on the back side you will see number 11 and grab that with a vise scrips (trust me you wont hurt it) and take it off the number 15 bolt is reverse thread so lefty tighty righty loosy haha good luck oh and if you end up having to get the shaft out put a socket the same size on it and hit it out with a hammer you have to push it out towards the inside of the case cuz there is a lip that it sits up against on the front that you dont want to break....good luck

·
Banned
644 Posts
13, 14, 17, and 16 should all be replaced

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well it looks I might as well wait till this winter when more money will be available and replace the clutch while I am at it. those cheap clutches don't last long with all the power going through it.

Thanks for the info evil_stroke.

·
Banned
644 Posts
no prob man it'll cost prob $40for everything including your clutch cover gasket

·
Banned
644 Posts
7 can be replaced if it has to be just look at it when you take it off its just a o-ring style gaskit...
and you don't even have to take that peace off of the pump cover for number 5 the spout i guess you could say can stay on it

thnx for the diagram fearnot it makes explaining a lot easier

·
Banned
644 Posts
it won't be easy might take two ppl that bolt is torgued in there pretty good

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I would buy 17 and 13 and call it good.

15 is a left hand thread. These parts like to rust together. Put quad in gear 1. Use a piston stop or wedge something in the rear sprocket and rear rotor to keep the wheels from turning. Then turn the bolt to the RIGHT.

Getting the impeller off may be the fun part. It's aluminum and rusts to the steel shaft. Had to pull the whole cover and pound the shaft out once. When that was the case I replaced the shaft seal #14.

When you get the mechanical seal put ceramic to ceramic. It 's the same as the LT250R and my manual did not show how to install it correctly.

·
Banned
644 Posts
zillas arn't somethin you want to just call good... do yourself a favor and replace all the seals like i said....believe me you want to..and yes to the right

1 - 17 of 17 Posts