Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I ended up stalling the lt250 in the river this past long weekend, water made its way into the transmission vent hose. Oil ended up getting creamed. Any ideas how to flush it out? I'm on my 3rd oil change and she's getting better but still cream coloured.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Only way I,d say is pull the covers and drain plug and drain it out.Then uses some brake clean and wash it out a couple times then let it dry and use some compressed air.Get some oil in there as soon as its dry so you don,t get surface rust on the bearings etc.Might want to pull the mag side cover too just to be safe that no water creaped in there as well.Probally want to run it and drop the oil at least one more time to be safe.I,d run automatic trans fluid when running it to clean out the moisture as well.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stator side is dry, my basket is grooved as well, clutch cover will be opened up next week. Maybe ill try the ATF thing well I wait for my basket to arrive. It's sitting in the shop way overfilled with oil right now.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
When you fill it with oil, the water is lighter than oil and will just float up, and then will settle into a low spot after the oil drains. If you can get the high point of the vessel to the filler cap, you can maybe suck it out with a siphon or something.

Get the clutch cover off, drain as much fluid out of there as you can, and maybe use the air hose to blow out as much fluid from the tranny as you can.

You could trying filling it with some gas, let it sit for a couple minutes, and then drain out the bottom. Since water is heavier than fuel and will settle to the bottom and drain first. Just not sure how great it is to have a few drops of fuel in your clutch case (?).

·
Registered
572 Posts
Every oil I've ever seen is lighter than water and the water will settle to the bottom eventually. The specific gravity of typical motor oil is around 0.85, there may be some that are heavier, I don't know. The gear lube for the lower unit of my boat motors is 80 weight and water settles to the bottom of that also. Put a few drops of whatever you run into a cup of water and I bet it floats. With that being said I wouldn't put anything in your transmission other than motor oil. People do use transmission fluid but I don't know what good that will do you as far as getting the water out. It won't hurt anything but I think it would be the same as flushing it with engine oil. I'd just buy a 5 quart jug of cheap motor oil and keep flushing it until it comes out clean.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Buy cheap advance auto brand oil in the proper weight. Fill it up to operating level. Run it around the yard really quick to mix it up then drain. Only good way to do it really. I've seen guys have to do this 10x or more. Eventually it will clear up. once it's clear a good long ride will burn out all the residual water, which there won't be much. Only other option is splitting the cases and cleaning each part but it really isn't necessary. It's an lt. It's tough as nails. Hahah

1 - 9 of 9 Posts