Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am fairly new to the Two-Stroke world, but got bit by the 2-smoke bug and don't think I could go back to the 4 banger machines. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good 4x4 Two-Stroke utility quads? I am looking for a good Utility Quad and want to go the two-stroke route even if the quad is older gen. Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
I just know that Polaris made a 2 stroker 2wd and 4wd quads. they worked with Suzuki and Kawasaki. There may be other models but..I don't follow the 2 stroke 4wd makes and models... Maybe...someone can chime in with some support !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Prior to around the year 2000 Polaris used Fuji single engines. The one you are looking for is the xplorer or sportsman 400. The ones you'll be looking at have the tale tell oil injection tank in the front hood and say "400 liquid cooled" on the side. They also made 250's and 300's (and 330's etc etc etc) but they all paled in comparison to that 400 engine..... I built a scrambler 400 4x4, on new bearclaws it was skeery. In 4wd, it would spin all 4 tires on a hardpack trail while it shot forward. It would QUICKLY outrun its brakes, headlights, steering, suspension.... pretty much all other systems!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Prior to around the year 2000 Polaris used Fuji single engines. The one you are looking for is the xplorer or sportsman 400. The ones you'll be looking at have the tale tell oil injection tank in the front hood and say "400 liquid cooled" on the side. They also made 250's and 300's (and 330's etc etc etc) but they all paled in comparison to that 400 engine..... I built a scrambler 400 4x4, on new bearclaws it was skeery. In 4wd, it would spin all 4 tires on a hardpack trail while it shot forward. It would QUICKLY outrun its brakes, headlights, steering, suspension.... pretty much all other systems!
Thanks for the information and advice. I really appreciate it. Looking at the OEM Polaris parts catalogs, it appears the Sportsman 400 2 Stroke was made from 93-97 and the Xplorer 400 from 95-02. Does that sound right? I think the Scrambler 400 project you did sounds pretty cool. The 400 motor sounds amazing!

·
Registered
29 Posts
That sounds about right as far as year models go. They ran late 90's into the early 2000's.

The 400 Fuji engine is a pretty awesome machine; reed valved, liquid cooled, with a pretty nice port layout from the factory (of course, that can be improved upon some ;) )

The real weakness in all of those early polaris' wasn't the engine at all. The scrambler showed its real weakness after it got hopped up. The belt drive system is arranged in such a way that the secondary clutch turns the same direction as the rear wheels in "forward". This means that the correct transmission direction is a 1:1 straight through without changing directions. Unfortunately, this necessitated a chain drive for the forward gear. Of course, as with any chain, enough load will cause problems with popping over. That new hopped up engine (and it was HAWT when I got done with it) showed the worn chain to be what it was. We had to tear the transmission down and replace the silent chain on it not long after. Still a scary ride but the rest of the system had to be brought up to snuff to handle it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the details and information. I think if I get a 400 I will probably keep it stock. Since it will strictly be a work quad, modding it would probably not be something that would make sense for me. That said, the more I read and here about these 400's, it sounds like they are awesome. I also found a 300 2 Stroke for sale in my general area, but it sounds like the 400 is the way to go. Thanks again!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 300 isn't a bad quad, it's just that the 400 is even more powerful. If you are leaving it stock, go check out the 300. It's got good oomph and will be less expensive than a 400 to purchase.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Plus down the road, you could put a pipe on it and change the springs in the clutch to give you more of a hit .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts