Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was riding my 1986 trx250r and it was running normal. However, when i was going down a straight away, it just shut off by itself. I tried starting it up again and it wouldn't start. I then checked the compression and it was around 150 psi. I tried changing the spark plug and it still wouldn't start. Electrical problem? What would cause the engine to just shut off so suddenly?

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Three corners to the start triangle; Compression, Spark & Fuel. Any of the 3 can be out of adjustment, all of the 3 must be there to run.
It sounds like it stopped firing from lack of spark.
:NodYes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Either lack of fuel or spark, as John Tice said you know you have compression so you're a 1/3 of the way there. you can check for spark by placing your spark plug on a good enough ground like the head of the cylinder with the boot connected and kick it over. You should see a nice blue spark light up at the bottom of the spark plug. If you dont you have an electrical issue, if you do you have a fuel delivery issue. If a fuel delivery issue check the basic things like making sure your tube on the cap of the tank isn't kinked or that you even have fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I will add a 4th element to the equation.... spark timing. If you have fuel, spark and compression check to see if the flywheel key is sheared. If the key is sheared your spark timing will be off causing a no run situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for the information. There is no spark coming from the plug. Planning on getting a new coil and work my way from there.:NodYes:

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
There is a lot of talent here from a lot of readers, we all learn from one another. If you think that you’re learning from a pro or someone with more knowledge; I’ll bet in the conversation that they are learning something from you.

E2S needs all kinds or members; keep the language clean & join the well of knowledge.

2 Strokes will never die if we keep them alive.
IMO

JT
:Cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i forgot to tell the solution. The solution was that the stator actually got all chewed up. Replaced it and now it runs great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts