Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
HillClimb/DirtDrag Champ
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking about fabbing some custom parts for the drag blaster.subframe,steering stem and a few other small odds and ends.i was looking at different tubing, aluminum and titanium.i do not know much about the strength of titanium and what wall thickness will be best for strength.also how much wieght can be saved over the aluminum tubing?any and all opinions appreciated except negative bullcrap such as-dont do it.and why would you want to do it.thanks.

·
HillClimb/DirtDrag Champ
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the subframe might end up being constructed of aluminum.it will bolt to the frame behind the tank and above the pegs.i had one ready but not in time.my buddy is going to run that one on his next year.he has already made some changes to it and is square tubing,i prefer round.the titanium was gonning to be mainly used for the steering stem.i was going to shave down both heavy ends,cut it in the middle,then piece the main shaft in with titanium.there i am really just trying to figure out the wieght difference between aluminum and the same strength titanium.i am really curius about the difference.i guess i can search the net for some calculations on the weight.thanks for the reply denny.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Commercial grades of titanium are about as strong as steel but are 45% lighter. Titanium is 60% heavier than aluminium, but more than twice as strong as the most commonly used alluminum alloys. I would think that the considerable cost of titanium would not be worth the extra strength, especially since alluminum is so much lighter.

·
Registered
423 Posts
fastR of puppets said:
titanium is deffently alot lighter and stronger, just costly
I would not go as far as saying titanium is lighter, it all depends on what grade you have, thickness, ect..... Definatly stronger.... and definatly more expensive. For general reasoning, Ti is comparable to steel in strenth at about 50% the weight, and at least 50% stronger than aluminum at twice the weight.

Titanium is expensive as all hell so be ready for the bill, also, if your machining, you will need carbide bits for any tooling you do, Tool Steel bits will not work with machining Ti because of its hardness. The welding isn't really much harder to do than Stainless at least in my opinion. We make alot of custom one off titanium parts for the race bikes, sprockets, axles..... So I am pretty knowledgeable with the milling aspect of it...

But as for a frame, I personally would use some 1.000"x.065" round tube 4130 chromemoly for the base frame, then if you choose you can make the subframe from tubular aluminum.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
my former race bike had a titanium frame. and i can tell ya. the weight savings just aint worth the cost. i think it was 3.75lbs lighter then the aluminum alloy frame that came stock with the bike. better off going with the aluminum and just don't eat that extra double cheese from MCD's ;)

·
HillClimb/DirtDrag Champ
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well thanks for the replies guys!im thinking if anything ill use it for the steerinf stem.ill just get a thinner wall because it is so strong.that will work good also being a very hard material,it will not oval out the holes i will use to mount it to the steel ends of the stem.i wil not be doing an entire frame.just some bolt on stuff.i will have the aluminum removable subframe though.ill get some pics when the [progress has began.i do not even have a frame to cut apart yet.

·
HillClimb/DirtDrag Champ
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
by the way tubular titanium is not that expensive in comparison to aluminum through online stores.

·
Registered
423 Posts
ONLY2STROKES said:
by the way tubular titanium is not that expensive in comparison to aluminum through online stores.

Thats because you are looking at Titanium alloy, not pure titanium.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
go chromemoly. No way could anyone justify using titanium unless it is flying. The aluminum frame would not hold up real well also. I fix a TON of the bike frames that are aluminum. Just my opinion though.

·
HillClimb/DirtDrag Champ
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Diesel_Tech said:
Thats because you are looking at Titanium alloy, not pure titanium.
ahhh i knew there had to be a catch.theese materials compared to some nuts and bolts i have priced seemed pretty cheap.are theese better than aluminum though?harder?lighter?

·
HillClimb/DirtDrag Champ
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bobeaser said:
go chromemoly. No way could anyone justify using titanium unless it is flying. The aluminum frame would not hold up real well also. I fix a TON of the bike frames that are aluminum. Just my opinion though.
the frame will still be stock.just using theese materials for some parts.the subframe,steering and some misc. odds an ends.this is on the drag blaster.it does not take too much abuse,chasis wise.

·
HillClimb/DirtDrag Champ
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Hey Matt, You make the fuzz any smaller or lighter and it just might fly away LOL. I need to put me on a diet before I worry about my machines lol. The new zilla is a little lighter than stock but its still a heavy pig lol. Hell the motor probably weighs more than the fuzz haha

·
HillClimb/DirtDrag Champ
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fulltiltrider said:
Hey Matt, You make the fuzz any smaller or lighter and it just might fly away LOL. I need to put me on a diet before I worry about my machines lol. The new zilla is a little lighter than stock but its still a heavy pig lol. Hell the motor probably weighs more than the fuzz haha
hahah naw man it could be a little lighter.im gonna try to weigh it today.when you bringing that 500 dwon here to portage to stir it up some?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i wonder if its as fast as james plumbers quadzilla in the quadracer frame... ahahahahaha. james is a really nice guy but cannot ride that 4 wheeler at all he only runs mid 7's wiht it. Mark Nadonely ran it at the last race and ran a low 6

1 - 20 of 27 Posts