Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always felt the timing is advanced too much. Idling, the tape is numbered incorrectly. On the advanced side numbers, 15 is 20 and 20 is 30.
Looking at this picture, it's close to 20 degrees advanced. Revving the engine, retards to around, 15. These are not ideal numbers. What is wrong?

·
1986 Honda TRX 250r
2,613 Posts
Is the plate retarted all the way? Are you running an ESR plate? When i contacted esr about this, they said leave the oem honda plate on the stator, and just bolt it up. I run my stator all the way retarded on my esr adaptor plate and havnt had any issues since. It actually felt like it had the best power retarted as compared to advanced to any degree. Are you worried its not retarting the timing enough from idle to wide open throttle? Like maybe something in the cdi box?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since my post, I have found the truth in the advanced timing. Yes I use a ESR plate. Most say this motors need to be advanced, not retarded. Viewing the graph I posted, you can see the how much the ignition advances. That coincides with my picture of the flywheel. She's running fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts