Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine decided that he wanted to get a 'shee for his first quad. He is still learning, but he says he can handle whatever it is the banshee has to offer. (His first ever ride was on a TRX700XX, had the thing at WFO after about 20 minutes of trying to figure out everything.) He's green as grass when it comes to things like this, so he asked me for some help. I know next to nothing about the banshee, so I figger'd this would be a good place to ask a few questions.

What should I look for when I look at a banshee?(He's gonna have me tag along when we go 'shopping.') Is there anything I should tell him to fix right away when he gets one? What are some easy/cheap mods to do to it to get a bit more power from it? Are there any reliability issues with it? Any specific years he should stay away from?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Things to look for are about the same as any other 2 stroke quad or bike. Check the airbox to make sure the air filter has been maintained and the owner has not let alot of dirt get in the engine. The stock banshee filter setup sucks and will almost always let dirt through. Check the cases around the sprocket for chain damage that seems to be common on banshee's. The chain adjustment bolts on the rear carrier seem to get stripped on these bikes so be sure to look at that. Look at the rear of the frame by the grab bar to see if it is bent up or to one side or the other, most of these have been wrecked and that is a common place for frame damage. All years of banshee are for the most part the same other than the early j arm frames. I would be looking for the best condition other than looking for the newest model. If it still has stock carbs with the "TORS" setup still on it I would change that right away. Get some pod filters or a pro desighn filter mount and filter if you still want to keep the airbox.

·
PLAYTIME'S OVER BITCHES!!
13,056 Posts
also check for swing arm play. there is no way to grease the bearings without taking the swingarm off and lots of people over look that and they just get wore out. bansheekx gave some very good advice on this.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys!

What exactly is the 'TORS' set-up?
Throttle Overide System. It is a set of box's with switches on top of the carbs that cause alot of problems like leaky carb tops and ignition problems. If your buddy gets a banshee that still has those it would be a good idea to get a TORS removal kit to eliminate future problems.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty good advice so far. If you have a compression tester id take it along too. Stock compression is around 125-130 psi.
Don't have one of those.. But I will see if I can't take off the fatties and get a good look into the cylinders. Check them for scoring and whatnot.

What are some cheap mods that he could do to it to make it a bit faster? I was thinkin just get a good set of pipes for it and it'd be fine for a while power-wise.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A good set of pipes would be good place to start and maybe an adjustable timing plate to advance the timing a little. What kind of riding does your friend plan on doing? If he plans to trail ride alot or do some moto x then upgrading the suspension would be high on my list of mods to do.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A good set of pipes would be good place to start and maybe an adjustable timing plate to advance the timing a little. What kind of riding does your friend plan on doing? If he plans to trail ride alot or do some moto x then upgrading the suspension would be high on my list of mods to do.
Trails and dunes would be his main riding areas. I've read the the suspension on the banshee is shotty at best in some circumstances.. Will look into some options for suspension set ups.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yup , front suspension sucks . shop around . I found a parts banshee for $400 ,probably had $1000 into the front end . When you"re shopping for a banshee remember aftermarket parts are worth $$$$$ ,stock parts ..... not so much. If you buy a built banshee you'll probably get all the aftermarket partts (pipes,cool head, a-arms ,shocks, ect, ect) for half price, plus you have lots more time to ride instead of wrenchin'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Frame
1) Check the frame thoroughly for bends or repair welds that don't belong. On the Banshee, particularly around the rear seat mount where the pipes mount to the frame and around the foot pegs.

Put it up on a box or crate to get the wheels off the ground then check:
2) pivot bearing for wear (swing arm movement side to side.)
3) carrier bearings for wear (axle tilt side to side)
4) sprocket/brake hubs tight on the splines (no rotation forward or back relative to the axle)
5) Ball joints and a-arm bushings on the front - no free play

Engine
6) Compression check - dependent on altitude. But the difference between cylinders shouldn't be more than a pound or two. Check the table at the bottom of this page: http://www.nossmachine.com/banshee_heads.htm
Granted these are #s. for fresh bores so it's a point of reference only.
7) Check intake boots between carbs and engine for signs of drying/cracking
8) Starts and runs smoothly through all 6 gears. Banshees are typically difficult to get into neutral while the engine is running. I find it easier on mine to do it from 2nd gear.
9) Engine case whack around the front sprocket
10) if there's a skid plate, you'll wanna see if the engine case underneath it's ever been cracked and JB Welded or anything.

11) lights and electrical; look at the harness to see if it's frayed or hacked up.

·
Super Moderator
6,688 Posts
These guys are giving you some really good advice!! another mod that will help would be a good aftermarket reed and reed block setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts