Everything2Stroke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 500 motor will fit in the 250 with a few minor mods. The flywheel, stator, & cdi are the same (87-92 250 & all 500). All the controls (throttle, shifter, clutch lever, front master) are the same except the rear brake lever is bent to clear the 500 clutch cover. chain rollers are the same, 91-92 frame & rear suspension will not fit any other year of lt250's.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Considering the pain it is to get the stuff for a 500, fitting the mill into the 250 frame actually sounds like the best mod yet. The 250 chassis has millions of aftermarket stuff available while the 500 seriously lacks in that department.

Which, by the way, was the main reason I began this thread.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just to keep it up to date, 2-17X26X20 roller needle bearings will swap out the junk Acetyl bushing of the bottom steering shaft. Cut the top off the old bushing to use as the spacer it already serves as.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Keep it going guys, that articles kinda short so far.

·
Registered
39 Posts
O.K. I realize that the 88 piston is ported to the 88, but the only difference I see is in the power port clearance. The 87 has a larger intake power port....i.e the cut-out on the bottom of the piston near the intake is slightly larger than the 88. The oval on the 87 is larger and allows more clreance than the 88. Sooooo I'm thinking if I port out the 88 to fit the 87 all will be o.k.
Everyone agree???

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I make piston mods all the time to fit obscure/discontinued models. If eveything mics out, sure. If you know what you're doing, sure. If you're willing to take the chance on doing it wrong and blowing yer ride, sure. Trying things out is how new ideas come about, just make sure you know what you're doing and do it slowly. But if you have to buy the part to do it, buy the right one and avoid the hassle.

·
Banned
0 Posts
what oval and what hole on the back of the piston..... we are talking LT250R's right???? i know the 87 for sure has no holes or "ports" on the piston.. i haven't had a 88-up apart ever so that one i'm nto 100% sure on.. but..... if i remember correctly they have no port on the back either.... anyway i believe the pin location is different

·
Registered
884 Posts
Going from another thread, u can put 400ex shocks on some of the lt's, not for sure what years

·
Registered
462 Posts
87+ for the honda shocks on the front...unless you have the bracket from HSD that lets you use the later model shocks...also on 91-92's, you can use 400ex or Z400 rear shocks. Im not completely positive on all this, it was on a different forum, but i heard the Z400 was the better shock because it had more travel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
dont the z400 shock and th lt have a completely diffieetn mount. lt are rounded eye mounts and one end of the z400 have the u shape mount?

·
Registered
101 Posts
the front brake calipers are the same on the 230s and the 250r. i know this as i have put the calipers from my 85 230 on my 86 250r. the rear calipers are almost the same. the only difference is that the e brake assembly is oposite of each other. but if you dont run the e brake or if you put the block plate on it, you dont need to worry. i think that the front hubs are the same as well. but not sure on that one. the bolt pattern might be a bit different.

nerf bars for the 87+ will fit as well on the 85-86. you just have to use a longer bolt and spacers. just run the bolt through the bottom hole of the front motor mounts.

awesome thread!!!

dp

·
Registered
462 Posts
i believe the 91-92 did have the U shaped mount on one end, right? I havent seen a late model but i think thats how they were...I will try and find the thread that talks about this, although it may have been deleted from the site.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Update.....She's ported, piston grinded, and she runs like a raped ape...had nooooooo idea that the 250 had so much power. I've rode 250's, 125's 500's, but this little bitch want's to run. She gets on the pipe in microseconds, and has lots of tourque. I'm impressed!!! gotta love the engineering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Wiseco aftermarket crankshaft assembly thats only listed for the '88 and up models will fit in the '87. I even called Wiseco to confirm this.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just adding info.

OK, let's see.......swingarm brng roller caged needle type 20X27X20 (2), axle carrier deep groove ball type 50X80X16 (2), shocks lower brng caged roller needle type 17X24X20 (3), cushion lever roller needle brng 55X63X25 (1) 25X32X26 (1) caged roller needle type 20X27X25 (2), A-arms upr and lwr caged roller needle type 17X24X25 (8), front wheel outer deep groove ball type 6302-2RS inner same type 6004-2RS, crank deep groove ball type 6306-2RS (2)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yup, you nailed it Kane. Realize the 88 piston WILL fit the 87, just need some minor re-porting on the piston. Crank, case, and everything else is a match to the 87. THe bastard child here is the 87 Jug, reed cage, and piston. All else is the same.

21 - 40 of 204 Posts