1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
ya and i was bitchin about rebiulding a banshee holt shit

·
Registered
654 Posts
wow u could buy a really nice 2 stroke for the cost of a top end and have money left over

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just rediculous! i vow to never get a four stroke unless its a crotch rocket or a hog like a harley or smtn that is actually built to be reliable. or if they change the bikes to last more than a two stroke then i will actually consider buying one.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
wow three g's is a modded shee with a fresh top end!!! not to mention i love the ping of the two stroke. but its more epa friendly to owna four stroke cause when they grenade, you gotta save up forever before you can ride it....

·
Ring Pirate Roachie!
841 Posts
seems like an old write up...those 4 strokes change every year...my 04 crf250r lasted me 3 hours on a fresh oem everything rebuild broken in and ready to go...3 f'n hours but it was the greatest 3 hours i was ever on a dirtbike i felt like god or something on that bike...give the new yzf's a couple more years i bet they will have that thing dialed in to last...

·
Live to Ride-Ride to Live
3,139 Posts
Its true! I love how people ( mostly quad riders (hmmm wonder why...) ) will say their 4strokes will last forever.. truth is these "high tech" "modern" bikes don't! and when you rebuild them its not as simple as pulling off the head and replacing the rings or piston, you have cams, cam chain, rockers, valves, valve springs, valve seals, then the piston and rings. and thats only for a top end build. But the real ball breaker is the cost! I'm not going to spend hunders, thousands every summer.. fuck that I'll just buy a new bike.

The new 450's are great.. but the cost is just too much... and besides that, 4strokes are for dull jobs! I get bored riding them. :p

I don't care if my little 200cc "kid quad" doesn't make 45lbs of torque, its cheap and un torquing 10 bolts to inspect/replace a topend is priceless.. its almost too easy haha. not to mention there's 20 year old blasters on the original top-end still going strong.. not to mention all the other kdx's, wr's, and other trail bikes that are 25 years old and still going strong too... I'd like to see a all stock 250 or 450 4stroke 25 years from now still running!
Fact is there wont be.....

·
Old School but still Cool
2,844 Posts
They are getting better on breaking down, but you still need a lotta money to keep them running in the racing world. The best 250F I ever rode was an '08 CR250F and the temptation to buy one is great, but when I started pricing parts for it I was in shock. I don't race anymore so I really don't need one if it is going to cost me 1500 in parts. The labor I can do myself and really, it isn't all that hard to do.

When the piston finally goes in one it usually shatters and breaks a lot of other stuff that causes a simple thing into a major one. Also, never buy a used one because chances are good it needs more than a valve adjustment when you service it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes usually buying a used one causes more headaches than it really is worth. alot of people dont take care of their bikes because they have no need to.

nice way to put it strokeitTwice443!! haha

and yeah...they can be fun and a good ride...but when you figure in the cost of parts...it becomes a big headache.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
oh my god this sport is goin to the big shots...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts