Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pertaining to 85-86

I had to completely tear apart my engine, in a hurry (long strory).

This is hard to visualize, but if you are ever digging deep,
there is a few things I had problems with later that were not obvious:

1. If you have problems with tranny oil being sucked through into the crankcase, replace the clutch side crank oil seal AND the o-ring that is hidden inside the first gear that goes on, closest to the center cases (the one that the balancer gear contacts). The crank oil seal seals between the cases and this gear, the o-ring seals between the gear and the crank, equally important. Dont forget the threads on this side of the crank are reverse, righty loosy, lefty tighty.

2. Replace the small spring that is inside the tranny, it attaches to the "cam stop", which rides on the shift drum. Like any other spring, it wears out. When it is wore out, trying to find neutral is bitch. It is the only spring you will see when you first split the cases. If you dont, you will have to live with it or re-split the cases.

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
Another note:
Look really close at the smooth surface that the crank seal rides on also.
I had one that even though I replaced the seal and the o-ring it still pulled oil from the transmission.
The smooth surface had a hair-line crack in it!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another note:
Look really close at the smooth surface that the crank seal rides on also.
I had one that even though I replaced the seal and the o-ring it still pulled oil from the transmission.
The smooth surface had a hair-line crack in it!
So what did you do? silicone gasket maker?

·
1985-1986 Lt250r Genius
2,332 Posts
Mgty3whlr:

Are you talking about the gears smooth surface or the actual race where the seal goes in?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
can a mod sticky this?

·
Administrator
20,428 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pertaining to 85-86

I had to completely tear apart my engine, in a hurry (long strory).

This is hard to visualize, but if you are ever digging deep,
there is a few things I had problems with later that were not obvious:

1. If you have problems with tranny oil being sucked through into the crankcase, replace the clutch side crank oil seal AND the o-ring that is hidden inside the first gear that goes on, closest to the center cases (the one that the balancer gear contacts). The crank oil seal seals between the cases and this gear, the o-ring seals between the gear and the crank, equally important. Dont forget the threads on this side of the crank are reverse, righty loosy, lefty tighty.

2. Replace the small spring that is inside the tranny, it attaches to the "cam stop", which rides on the shift drum. Like any other spring, it wears out. When it is wore out, trying to find neutral is bitch. It is the only spring you will see when you first split the cases. If you dont, you will have to live with it or re-split the cases.
Thanks for the insight man, Im doing my first complete rebuild now. I saw this and ordered my complete gasket and seal kit, well worth the extra $20 IMO

·
Registered
92 Posts
my 92 has an o ring in the bearing spacer (spacer between seal and bearing) I'm guessing it's the same deal as it seals the crank?

wonder if my gasket kit is coming with the o ring. should be here early next week...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts