Everything2Stroke Forum banner

side to side play in crank

18K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  Bad Ass Honda 250r 
#1 ·
when i put my crank in the cases with the main bearings installed in the cases. the crank will move side to side in the cases when i push on one side of the crank and then on the other. Any on else have this problem? Do i have the right bearings?

#30 ·
I'd measure your bearings and go to the dealership and measure an oem bearing. The bearings should not just slide on either. I have to use a crank puller to get the the crank in the bearing on mine. I also wouldnt just throw it together till you got this figured out. If your crank walks at high rpm its gonna cost you alot more than just a set of bearings or a new crank.

#31 · (Edited)
man. this is causing all sorts of problems. im going to have to buy a crank then......... because mine is worn. i guess.. whats weird is where the seal runs on the flywheel side, where the bearing does NOT run, it still slides on easily. Maybe when i put them on my hotrods crank it stretched the id out a little on the bearing or something./\

#32 · (Edited)
well i think i have found a lupole. (spelling) im going to get some shims from the autparts store and shim it so there is no movement. then im going to get some loctite and put that on the crank races and bearing races just to make sure that doesnt want to spin. Unless tughill283 wants to sell his crank to me for cheap.

#34 ·
Man save your cash and do it right. Either buy a hotrods crank or, your best bet, buy some oem bearings. If you have a bad failure caused by those bearings with that crank its gonna cost you alot more than the 50bucks or so for oem bearings. Thats a fact

#33 ·
to be honest with ya im kinda uneasy about selling that crank to a member on here,i dont want you to throw it all together and have a crank i sold you fall apart.the loctite is a good idea and on my crank the bearings fit tighter in the case than on the crank.you can almost slide the bearings on the crank with hand strength.

#36 ·
If your talking about the crankshaft in the engine cases. Then no. little to none. If there is your main bearings are likely shot and you will soon find up and down play as well. I find the main bearings dont actually last as long as one might think. ( compared to wheel bearings on a trailer, wheel bearings on your pickup etc) My engine runes just fine has great compression but the main bearings are giving it up. maybe its just my specific engine but im finding up and down play at the flywheel. it still runs but is in desperate need of a rebuild because of that reason. However side to side play in the ROD. on the crankshaft is normal. up and down play in anything in the rotating assembly. wrist pin, upper and lower rod bearings, or the main bearings is going to cause you major trouble shortly if you dont correct it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.