Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about the Rotax 800cc snow-mobile cylinder swaps onto the 250R? I think Packard and a few others have built them. Considering building one...interested in knowing what year machines the cylinders come off of, pv or non pv, what rod to use, original engine stroke length, etc. etc.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
14,217 Posts
packard is the guy who did them they used a outer starter and bumped them alive
id just call him and pick his brain ,seems like kind of a one off project to do without the aid of someone who has done them in the past might be very involved

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure on the year but the four I've delt with have a 6mil stroker with a yz 490rod and a 87mm yz490 piston giving it a 463cc displacement. you can set them up for all different rod stroke combo's.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the YZ490 rod can fit on a 250R crank with minimal modifications, so knowing that makes it alot easier. The welding of the cases and drilling/tapping for the studs doesn't really worry me that much. This sounds like it could be a pretty fun project. Have to have my buddy in Alberta hunt up a cylinder and head for me. Stay tuned, see what I can cook up in my shop :) If anyone else has any other info I'd appreciate it too!

·
4stokesLazy2strokesCrazy!
7,770 Posts
Seems like a fair amount of work to get 400cc's.
I suppose if you like to play and have the time it's all good.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've done the CR500 motor conversion thing before, and I'm the type of guy that hates cookie cutter stuff....I could spend $1500+ on an ESR350 kit or I could spend a couple hundred bucks in parts and some welding/machining time and have something that there are probably less than 2 dozen motors in the world floating around as, I'm going for the crazy wacky weird thing :p

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i dont know if theres anything specail about the 800 twin but sea doo makes a 951 twin maybe you could use one of those cyls and get more cc?

·
4stokesLazy2strokesCrazy!
7,770 Posts
I've done the CR500 motor conversion thing before, and I'm the type of guy that hates cookie cutter stuff....I could spend $1500+ on an ESR350 kit or I could spend a couple hundred bucks in parts and some welding/machining time and have something that there are probably less than 2 dozen motors in the world floating around as, I'm going for the crazy wacky weird thing :p
I do the same thing lol

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
i dont know if theres anything specail about the 800 twin but sea doo makes a 951 twin maybe you could use one of those cyls and get more cc?
they use the 800 cylinder because it offers a larger bore, powervalve, and a huge cylinder reed cage... most sled engines have case reeds, and are tripples with small displacement per cylinder..

1 - 20 of 130 Posts