Everything2Stroke Forum banner

rm 250 Smoking alot

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Duncan 
#1 ·
OK I have a 99 rm 250 which i just got abnout a week ago. It ran fine the other day then for some reason when i started it today it was shooting clouds of smoke i thought maybe it is just cold I rode it around for a while and seems to be under powered. so i gave a quick assumtion maybe i should run different oil. I went out and bought full synthetic oil and mixed 40:1 and it hasn't stopped smoking. so I took the motor apart and noticed one of the rubber O-Rings was outta place. So now I am thinking it may be leaking coolant into the cylinder I am waiting for them to come in so i can find out if that is what it was. O and the piston is clean and the top dommed part is clean to no carbon... If anyone has any Idea of what it could be Please help...

:shock4: :eek:ther1:

#2 ·
Well in general, 2-strokes do smoke, your burning oil with yur gas, but it sounds like to me like maybe your bike is loading up, maybe you had it idleing for a bit and it got loaded up, then making it run a little bogish and underpowered. Next time it does that take it for a spin and kinda get on it, let me the motor rev out and see if that clears it up, dont be afraid to rev it out in every gear, if loading up is your problem then it will clear up once it burns away all the crap. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
i had an o ring go out on my 125 and it smoked like a bitch and then it bogged, but then mine hydro locked. so get a new o ring and that should fix it.

#4 · (Edited)
OK, the O-ring didn't help. still smokes like a bitch its wite smoke and a lot of it. i went ahead and rode it a bit it did eventually slow up alot to were it was just a little bit of smoke but the engine wwas making noises so i took it back home. I checked it out and the transmision oil was pretty much gone i filled it back up and started it and it was smoking like crazy again.... I think it is the right crankshaft main bearing and seal that is leaking oil into the crank witch is getting in the combustion chamber and burning all my oil...... and that is a bitch getting to to replace. not sure if i want to try and attempt it or just take it somewhere to get it done......:angry2:

#6 ·
its not bad trust me i split apart my 89 RM250 jus when u splitting tha case u keep tha clutch side down and tha flywheel side up so that tha gears dont fall out other than that it is easy

#7 ·
OK I have a 99 rm 250 which i just got abnout a week ago. It ran fine the other day then for some reason when i started it today it was shooting clouds of smoke i thought maybe it is just cold I rode it around for a while and seems to be under powered. so i gave a quick assumtion maybe i should run different oil. I went out and bought full synthetic oil and mixed 40:1 and it hasn't stopped smoking. so I took the motor apart and noticed one of the rubber O-Rings was outta place. So now I am thinking it may be leaking coolant into the cylinder I am waiting for them to come in so i can find out if that is what it was. O and the piston is clean and the top dommed part is clean to no carbon... If anyone has any Idea of what it could be Please help...

well all i can say is change or should i say renew your transmission oil and check you dont over fill it thats what I did only to find it was more than a litre its only supposed to be 650 ml thanks to the previous owner having no idea on the flued capasities now the exessive smoke has been resolved

#9 ·

Drain and replace your transmission fluid

#10 ·

you can easily check if if you have oil in your water coolant take of the radiator cap and you will notice if the water has any oil in it but one thing i have realised if the transmission oil is old or over filled it will make its way into the combustion chamber which will cause exessive smoking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.