Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought some new Razr's for my LT, fantastic. but i cant seem to remove the old tires from the rim/wheel. when i got new front tires i took them to Adirondack Tire and the got them on but it cost me almost a hundred dollars. i was hoping there was a way to remove them at home. if not I'll just use our air cutter and cut the bead.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A bead breaker is about the only way to remove them without destroying the old tires. If the tires are worn out and you don't mind trashing them you can cut the tires with a sawzall. I cut the tires leaving the bead and then carefully cut the wires in the bead with a cut off wheel. Just be carefull not to grind into the rim or your new tires will leak around the bead.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You had to pay $100 to simply have tires removed from the rim and new ones installed!!?? That is crazy.

Here are some tips. Take the rim and lay it on the ground and get a 2x4 and lay it on the tire with the board butted up against the rim. the tire needs a little air in it. Drive a car up on the board and it MAY pop the bead.

If that doesn't work I take a utility knife and cut the rubber of the tire out down to the bead and use a grinder on the wire bead. Be careful not to scuff the rim to much. You could also do as mentioned but instead of using a grinder get a long flat blade screw driver and a hammer and drive the screw driver between the metal wires in the bead and pry the wires and break them 1 by 1. Usually that is what I do.

Good Luck

·
Old School but still Cool
2,842 Posts
Here in Michigan a tire chain called Discount tire will remove and install an ATV tire for $6.
Yep and they work fast and often while you wait. If for whatever reason I don't go that route I do the board trick only I use a 2x10 cut to 4ft in length and that can work.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
the board and car trick does work, but it usually takes 2 people and i've seen bent wheels and punctured sidewalls result.. just go to tire shop and ask them to break the beads for you.. a decent shop would charge very little if anything at all... cutting the beads off seems like a alot of messy and risky work to me.. but in a pinch, hey whatever works...Although its really not much more work to just build a bead breaker... then you would be self suficient, and never again have to pay a tire clown to damage your new stuff...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discount Tire here sells ATV tires so they have to mount them. The touchless tire machine does it perfect.

I bought tires from a dealer and they used a bead breaker on my Blue Label .125 rims and bent the lip on one. So I made them pay me for the rim and just ride it that way.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought a bead breaker from Harbor Freight... I know its harbor freight but for $30 after you do 2 or 3 tires depending on how much your shop charges it has paid for itself.

Also I do all of my friends tires for beer... its a win win

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
He took it to a shop and they reamed him. I took it that he didn't have another shop to go to and that is why he was asking the questions.

The Harbor Freight tool would be nice if you can find a local one or have it shipped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts