Everything2Stroke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
No issues starting at all. Definitely massive amounts of compression, but then again I'd rather not ride a bike that you see women and children ride. Ha!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
No issues starting at all. Definitely massive amounts of compression, but then again I'd rather not ride a bike that you see women and children ride. Ha!
So these Banshees that know better are piloted by woman and children? No wonder why they are scared of your big bad 500.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would say the 250r myself. Minimal headache awesome handling out of box. Can you handle a 500 and still ride good???? speed is a illusion. Its only good if you can put it down.

·
Registered
525 Posts
So these Banshees that know better are piloted by woman and children? No wonder why they are scared of your big bad 500.
I'm going to have to agree with you, Are there banshees faster then my zilla? Most defiantly. However I've also beaten my fair share of banshees, although around were I live most banshees just have exhausts and reeds. I've noticed alot of zilla guys are like harley owners, can't accept there's other machines out there that are just as good or better. I love my zilla, however I'm not gunna bark off and say it's the fastest thing on earth. I have massive amounts of respect for yamaha and the banshee, keeping something so radical alive for years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not barking anything off nor did I say one was better than the other. Learn to read. Stated as "personal preference". Notice it was a banshee owner that started with the insults and mud slinging. What I will say is that any banshee that can outrun a similary built zilla will go great only in a straight line, and could be started by a child or 100 lb gal. Ever seen a 100 lb lady kicking over a zilla. Probably a rare sight. There s a great difference between a 100hp cub banshee with light switch like power delivery and a 80 hp zilla with freight train like torque and white knuckle top end. One is better all around duning and one is basically a hill shooter, some take some work to ride trails safely. Different strokes for different folks. Geeze I've ridden and owned banshees they are good, I just didn't know they were ridden by such whiney riders. Never claimed it was a big bad 500. Someone asked a question and got feedback from all directions. It's all good and love honey.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I understand what your saying, I'm not trying to start something with anyone, especially another zilla owner. Im not saying your guilty of it but search zilla on google and you get thousands of guys like that. It's embarrassing, all the bs people say about them gives the quad a bad name.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Not barking anything off nor did I say one was better than the other. Learn to read. Stated as "personal preference". Notice it was a banshee owner that started with the insults and mud slinging. What I will say is that any banshee that can outrun a similary built zilla will go great only in a straight line, and could be started by a child or 100 lb gal. Ever seen a 100 lb lady kicking over a zilla. Probably a rare sight. There s a great difference between a 100hp cub banshee with light switch like power delivery and a 80 hp zilla with freight train like torque and white knuckle top end. One is better all around duning and one is basically a hill shooter, some take some work to ride trails safely. Different strokes for different folks. Geeze I've ridden and owned banshees they are good, I just didn't know they were ridden by such whiney riders. Never claimed it was a big bad 500. Someone asked a question and got feedback from all directions. It's all good and love honey.
I was not slinging mud, you are the one who said banshee owners wont even bother, when I hear that I think either your just ignorant, or you beat up on a few stock banshees. I have owned and built 2 zillas, I know all about them, I am not knocking them at all, they are great bikes, just not the most practical for me. I have a 60hp trail banshee that I can start in flip flops, runs very hard and is very reliable. Again I am not saying anything bad about Zillas, they are just not for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I had to do it over again I would build a Polaris 400 2wd 2 stroke. Actually been searching for one the last few weeks. There are a few good builders for them to boot you get the reverse and e start if you don't mind the weight.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
If I had to do it over again I would build a Polaris 400 2wd 2 stroke. Actually been searching for one the last few weeks. There are a few good builders for them to boot you get the reverse and e start if you don't mind the weight.
Yah I can see myself on a more lazy ride for the future.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A nice, almost stock banshee would do the trick, but they aren't really cheap......and kinda hard to find a cheap one that hasn't been messed with by an inexperienced wrench....

Zillas have their issues, but when they run, hang on!!

But I would recommend a TRX250r or LT250r. You can find a decent one for cheaper than a banshee or zilla. Parts are abundant. They are easy to start and ride. And in the future you hop them up as much as you want, especially the TRX250.......but I am also a bit biased as I have an 88 LT250r. But I paid $1000 for it. Put a PT pipe and 38mm lectron carb on it, did a topend. ready to rock n roll.....it pulls my 300lbs butt around pretty good....just my .02

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
AAEN performance can push 75 hp outta them, i like them, but i don't want a automatic

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just picked up a 87 zilla and have yet to ride it for the last two months. Had to send the motor out to make sure the squish was right. Kept blowing the head gasket witch is a common problem that can be fixed. I'm 6'0 150lbs and I have never had a problem kicking my friends zillas over. Just gotta not be a pussy.lol I still prefer my old air cooled 250r that just me. Rides like a Cadillac and still smokes most my buddy's....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Zilla is a good choice, but not for everyone. Just real men, jk. I don't think starting it will be an issue after a while. It's pretty much all technique. Don't over due it on the engine, but then again it also depends on your style of riding. Yeah, once you buy a "used" Zilla you'll be buying someone elses problems, but that's why you got E2S. You can find parts cheap on eBay, classifieds here, and cheapcycleparts.com. In my opinion, a 4stroke would cost more to fix, my 2cents.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've owned blasters and banshees and I just picked up a 87 lt500r and I've only ridden it once when I test rode it. I started it on my second kick cold motor and I weigh 155lbs it's about technique just like starting any two stroke but the compression will hurt you I can tell if you just try to muscle it over. It has stock shocks and handled better than my upgraded suspension banshee did had low end power like every 400+ 4 stroke I've ever ridden and the top end speed will have you holding on as your ass slides back on the seat. I've always wanted to own a Zilla and the first one I saw for sale and test rode I bought. I paid $1500 for it and it has brand new tires $600 worth all the way around. It has a DG pipe which is sufficient or now I suppose and I have no clue what the internals have had done to them. The guy I bought it from also had a complete trinity custom built Zilla so I'm assuming the basics (squish, washers, an o ring head ) have been done already but we'll see. I'd go with the Zilla if I were you go big or go home if you don't like it they're always is a demand for them because they're a rarity to find for sale unlike banshees and any 250r Honda or Zuki.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yup, I rode 400exs for a long time, bought one zilla and never went back, sold the 400 and bought a basket case and went to work on it so I can have 2 zillas!

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK just bout a 89 LT500r from a guy I know that has had it since 1994. Stock except a 86mm piston he had put in a few years back and Vforce delta reeds(?) Picked it up for $1600 and dropped it right off with a guy in town that does motors (used to put wheeler motors together for a big outfit). Stock everything even the exhaust.
The OEM suzuki piston was not in good shape because whomever did the bore didn't hone/chamfer anything. It also had a small piece of base gasket missing so it wouldn't idle. So he put in a new WS piston and fixed up the porting. It had a 360 jet and a 22.5 pilot. He set the needle to the 4th clip and told me to drive a tank of gas through it then he'd adjust it. He also went through the rest of the bike and put in new swing arm bearings. I bought a sticker set off ebay and it looks pretty good now.
He ended up putting a 20 pilot and moving the needle back to the 3rd clip and it ran MUCH better as it was rich as hell.
It is a bitch to start and I'm 6' 2" and 240lbs so please someone tell me what the technique is your talking about!
Also what about this squish that everyone is refering to? WTH is the squish?
Lastley I just picked up a full FMF exhaust front pipe and rear off ebay used for $63. So I'm going to bolt that on then see how it runs with a 350, 360 or three seventy (can't just type in ***) jet (all I have currenlty).
Looking for any input from anyone!
I bought this as we have a group of guys that goes to Glamis every January. I also hit either St. Anthony Idaho or Little Sahara OK each year. I just need something to get me up those big hills :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
When starting a big bore like the Zilla, if compression is high and everything is in spec, you almost have to use proper technique if you want it to fire initially. I like to kick it really slow (more of a easy push than a kick) when it's cold. When you do that, you can feel a hard spot right about 1/3 of the way down or so. Push down very slow and the moment you get past that "hard part" stop. The piston should now be at top dead center. Bring the starter back up to the top. Now kick with everything you've got lol!! This way, you don't have to fight the compression stroke initially, get some momentum built up and then it should fire right up (as long as everything is in working order). You can wear yourself out real quick trying to kick it from some random spot in the engine cycle. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Give it a try and see if she starts easier and is easier to kick!!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts