Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i'v been lookin at quads to get when i sell the blaster, i'v narrowed down to a hybrid 2stroke of some sort, a trx250r, a banshee or a lt500r, what are the common issues with lt500r's and are they reliable, and would i have trouble starting it, i'm 6'2 150 pounds

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I would stay away from a hybrid for sure, you will just end up with someone elses project, I would also stay away from the LT500R cause they arent exactly the most reliable bikes out there (although they can be with some work) and are bears to start. I would go with either the trx250r or the banshee. My pick would be the banshee but I am also biased, in my opinion they are the most reliable 2 stroke atv ever made, very solid power plant. These are my opinions only, I am sure the LT500R guys will disagree with me and thats fine :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a zilla they are really fun, not for everybody. I didn't feel right about it until the tranny was cut, inserts to the crankcase, crank balanced, head cut, new piston blah blah blah. thank god I can wrench the machine work alone was about the same price as a nice used banshee.....

my dad and brother, I don't even expect them to be able to kick it over and they weight over 225 apeice. However I weight about 200 and start it with ease, it's the technique.

·
stock cylinder killer
1,005 Posts
With a few mods the zillas can be reliable. I would suggest getting the head cut for o-rings and correcting the squish for sure. While you have the top end off replace the oem thrust washers with billet ones and an RM250 bearing. Im only about 150lbs and i can start mine fine. Its all in the tecnique, and that you are jetted correctly.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm 6.1 175lbs and I always start mine within one or two kicks, I you can find a zilla that's already built reliably your going to save alot of cash.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also, i don't exactly have a steady flow of cash, i can sell stuff and do odd jobs and get some money, but i'll never be able to save up for alot of expensive work on em

·
Registered
255 Posts
if you dont have a steady flow of cash then a zilla is definatly NOT the bike for you . and the link you posted for the zila 4 sale looks to be a heavily modded p.o.s. ! your better off with a banshee or honda 250r , banshee's can be found for cheap and there are 24 yrs of used and aftermarket parts floating around !

·
Registered
525 Posts
Agreed, I wouldn't call a zilla unreliable but they are expensive to run, I run mine on straight race fuel, if you don't have a steady income your gunna have trouble even putting fuel in it. How is trinity with building zilla motors? You'd think there would be a name or something milled into the cylinder if they did the port work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
if you love tinker just as much as you ride (like I do), have the money to make it reliable, and can get one for a good price go for it. Nothing like pulling your 2 stroke up in the back of your truck or trailer just above idle, these are things are tractors. If you just want to go fast build a banshee, so many more parts. Don''t get me wrong parts are out there and available, just not as many. One of the great things is suzuki really does a good job of keeping things available for us. I would of bought something else but I wanted a zilla since the 90's......

·
Registered
186 Posts
Although I must agree with most on here that you need some cash flow to keep a zilla going, I have had much luck with my zilla being reliable. I rode it for 7 years straight before taking it apart and redoing it. Its a great quad with alot of potential and there is for most part a good group of guys on the internet that are always willing to help you out with any issues you may have.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm gonna think bout it still, hopefully soon i can get a ride in on a banshee and a trx250r, and see which i like more for my style, maybe i'll go look at a zilla and take it for a test ride and see how i like it

·
Registered
525 Posts
I beat the piss out of mine every Thursday on an mx track, it gets a filter cleaning and oil every ride, if your on top of maintenance you shouldn't have an issue.

·
Registered
567 Posts
LT500 = Money Pit $$$$$$ But once you get a good reliable engine your hooked, Then the Pipes then and the Suspension will throw you deep in the Money Pit, but so would any other make of quad. Its purely a "Labor of Love" But us Big Guys love them!
Only thing Close to the LT500 I found was the DS650, and thats another money pit, and is heavy as hell also.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Don't let these guys scare you off, the zilla is as reliable as any other 20 year old quad out there as long as you get one that hasn't been beat to death and has a good crank. Fix the squish (<$100) and get rid of the oem thrust washers ($40) and you're good to go. All those old 2 strokes need an aftermarket exhaust, reeds and updated suspension to run well so that's a non-issue.

The last thing I would buy is a banshee, especially if money is an issue. Two of everything every time you rebuild it. They're great for going fast in a straight line but that's about it, if you aren't on the pipe you have no power and they handle worse than a zilla in my opinion.

The only time I'm not 100% happy with my zilla is in the really tight trails, the 250's and the 400 4-strokes have the advantage there with maneuverability. A built banshee will take you in the drags but stock or slightly built it's not much of a race. 450's will smoke you on a track because of the nice suspension they have but one needs to be built pretty well to take you in a drag.

All depends on what you want to do. It kind of sucks picking something out when you haven't had a chance to ride them all and know what you like. BTW, my zilla starts within a couple kicks every time, usually one kick when it's warmed up. My buddy's is the same way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lt 500 info

I have owned banshees, blasters, trx250r's, and lt500's if you want the low down on each give me a call 6 - 10 pm pacific time. I just spent an hour on a long reply and it did not go thru [email protected]#$%^&*. Rory 541 979-6613.

·
PLAYTIME'S OVER BITCHES!!
13,056 Posts
good thread. never know, i might end up with one someday and i'll have this thread to look in on and see what i need to look out for.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, i'v narrowed my choices to 250r and zilla, i'm gonna go ride a 250r hopefully soon if the guy gets back to me, and then when i have money in hand i'll go take a look at a zilla or 2 and ride em, and even tho i'm a 2 stroke guy, i might go check out a bombardier ds 650, i like those things

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any built two stroke is a money pit as they are never fast enough. My trx is great but some of the internal engine parts are not available unless you buy used such as case halves and some trans parts. At least Suzuki still makes all parts available new oem. I had a zilla motor put in my Trx Honda frame and could not be happier. It wasn't cheap and took time to do right but you'll find that with any bike. It's just personal preference. Plus it's nice to see banshees turn away cuz they know not to bother....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts