Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am rebuilding an 89 quadzilla. I purchased a Trinity stage II cylinder from evilbay and had it bored first over. I assembled the bottom end this weekend and began to assemble the top. I hung the piston and set the cylinder on to check it out. with a base gasket on, the piston is out of the hole about .035". anybody have any experience with trinity stuff? with a .043" head gasket that only leaves .008" squish clearance. not enough in my opinion. did trinity use a spacer under the cylinder for port timing? should I space the jug up or run a thick copper head gasket?

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
I don’t have a clue of how Trinity does things but, YOU need at least 1mm deck height preferably 1.5mm. If you don’t have a copy of Performance Tuning, it’s time to get one before you have an accident. Make a few phone calls before you crank it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 to 1.5mm deck height? maybe I missunderstood but are you saying .040 to .060 in the hole? Cant be right... I talked to McDermott Racing... The guys that actually did the cylinders and porting. They sold the trinity name but the guys at trinity were kind enough to put me in touch with them. They said that the base warped when they reinforced the rear bolt flanges so they turned the bottom of the cylinder to true it up. they then used a thicker base gasket. They were good to talk to and had great information about the trinity work. I ended up ordering a .060" base gasket. should be good to go. the slug was .040 out of the hole after measuring with an indicator. .020" base gasket installed. anyway... just wanted to let everyone know the solution.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
The phone talk was good; So how much squish do the folks recommend? Whether It be squish or squish & deck height, you need enough clearance to keep your piston from banging into the head. If you’re not sure, maybe roll a ¼” turd of play-doh & check things out so you really know. You still need a copy of the book. “Performance Tuning” explains everything needed.
John
:NodYes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I have a question. I have an 89 lt500r with trinity iv cylinder and cool head. What are the cylinder sleeves made out of. Can they be bored or do they have to be released?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts