Everything2Stroke Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
Better pics out in the sun. It isn't actually done. I'd like some braided front lines, need to get that broken water pump bolt fixed and I might let a engine builder friend of mine take the motor and make it a screamer. As of now it is going to go to the back burner during this riding season. I have something else to ride so no rush.

The bike I'll be riding while the zilla sits this riding season.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Have you ridden it?
Once. I had it all finished up and got it running and it was blowing loads of water out of the clutch cover up by the water pump. I had a broken bolt in the case and I'm having trouble getting it out. I may end up having to split the cases to get it fixed properly. The previous owner somewhere down the line was a moron. There were two stripped bolts in the clutch cover I had to fix and then this broken one.

There is a vid a page or so back and you can see the water pouring out.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Well instead of just shelving the zilla for a while due to irritation I guess I'll strip the motor down and get it fixed. The previous owner was a moron. So many bolts were stripped in the chassis and engine. The clutch cover itself had two that needed inserted and I'll be fixing the third.....It is TOUGH to do all this then have split the cases again over a broken bolt by the water pump.

Pics.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)
All the mess of this......

Because of this.......That is the bolt on the upper side of the water pump. I didn't realize it was broke off when I initially did all of the work. So after I get it all together I tried couldn't drill it and screwed that up with a hand drill....then I tried the welder....Thats why all of the aluminum is pitted. I plan to try and put it in a drill press and drill it out. I can touch up all those divets with JB Weld so it seels nicely. What a F&CK!NG PITA!!!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I FINALLY GOT THAT MOTHER F'ING SOB REMOVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried welding a nut to it, I tried a drill press....NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

So I decided that it couldn't get worse so I just took a dremel cut off wheel and cut it out! I know a local shop that can build it back up with weld so I can drill and tap a fresh new hole. I can finally finish the Zilla!

Pics:

·
Registered
330 Posts
wow, thats the problem with aluminum and steel bolts, the idiot probably didn't have the waterpump shaft aligned with the gear and went to put the cover on and when it didnt go in all the way he just kept turning the bolt thinking it would suck the cover in! once that steel is sucked tight and starts stripping its game over....that was a risky fix but im glad its working out for you, last resort...id have done the same thing, cut the fucker out...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Wonder if you could find a copper metric bolt to go in there when you build up the weld
So would that allow me to back the copper bolt out and have perfect threads your saying? Interesting idea!

wow, thats the problem with aluminum and steel bolts, the idiot probably didn't have the waterpump shaft aligned with the gear and went to put the cover on and when it didnt go in all the way he just kept turning the bolt thinking it would suck the cover in! once that steel is sucked tight and starts stripping its game over....that was a risky fix but im glad its working out for you, last resort...id have done the same thing, cut the fucker out...
Yeah I know. I don't know what the idiot did. I do know the bolt was bottomed out at the bottom of the hole. I'd say he simply put a bolt that was to long and then broke it. Who knows.

It was definitely a risky fix. I tried everything. I even got a guy to try welding it that is a good welder and no dice. So this last resort seemed to work well. I know a guy that can weld these cases really well. I've have him weld broken CR250 cases for me before. Can't wait to get it done and finally take a real ride on it. I've never really even ridden it......One time but it was leaking so bad I had to shut it down. Then rip it apart.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I got the case back over a week ago but I haven't had the time to dress the area up where the cover meets the case and drill and tap the hole. Hoping to do that soon. Here are some pics though.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
My attempt to carefully get the case flush didn't quite work out. Geez I think this case is cursed. I was supposed to be using a flat milling bit that turned out to be somewhat concave. UGH. Well I got the hole tapped nicely and I'm ready to install. I will flush the case out with a skim coat of JB weld and then gently smooth it out with a non-aggressive file. It won the battle but not the war damnit!

·
Registered
330 Posts
what it cost to have fixed?

121 - 140 of 174 Posts