Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the project of my dreams. I picked up a 1987 Quadzilla today. The bike has strong points and weak points but overall I'm super stoked. Bike seems to run great. I couldn't get the thing started. I don't wanna sound like a puss but I had to pull start the damn thing to get it started. I'm sure once I get it tuned it will start right. I plan to do the same thing I did to the 250 I had that some of you might remember. This will be muuuch slower but the end result will be just as nice. Pics of it at the shop of the PO.

My 250 project thread to give you an idea of my plans for this bike.
http://forums.everything2stroke.com/showthread.php?t=43173

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Awesome, glad you finally scored a Zilla! =) Looks nice & clean, too!!

Get rid of that stock carb ASAP and get a PWK. It woke my Zilla up, for sure. Even with the PWK39 & jetting, if mine sits for more than 3-4 days with the petcock off, it takes some priming to get enough fuel into the jug. So, clean up that head real good and pour a tablespoon of fuel/oil mix in the plug hole. And don't kick with the kicker at 12-noon. Put her at about 9-10 o'clock and get a good 90-degree swing with a "chug-chug" to 6-o'clock. Don't have to jump off a building onto the kicker, you know what mean? lol

Subscribed! Love these projects! And this should be a good one!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
That's a pretty clean looking quad man, shouldn't take too much to get that how you want it. I hate the fitment of the maier plastics though, mine has them too. You would think they would want to put out a better product than that. I looked into buying a set of factory plastics and they were pushing $1000! I think I'll stick with the crappy fitting Maiers, lol.

The first thing I'd do is pull the stator cover and check for up/down, side/side play. A little in/out is ok but you don't want any thing else or your probably looking at getting inserts put in. When you place your first order for oem parts get two of the pinch bolts for the lower ball joints also, they get flat spots worn in them over the years and can let the ball joints fall out of the spindles.

If you want a pwk I have two of them I'll sell you, both in excellent condition. $100 for the 39 or $125 for the Sudco 41.5. Personally I'd keep the Mikuni even though the 87 isn't the best year. I've had a Mikuni on mine on for a year now and won't go back. My quad has sat for months and I've never had to dump fuel in the jug to start it, a couple slow primer kicks with the stop switch off, then turn it on, run the kicker over the first "hump" and give her a good kick. Even after sitting a few weeks it usually starts in a kick or two. I did have a problem on my last ride where I had to bump start it twice but I found out I had a head leaking so I'm thinking I was getting antifreeze in the cylinder, haven't put it back together yet to try it though.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll be keeping it stock for now. BUT the first mods will be a pipe and carb because it also has a $hitty DG pipe and silencer. I haven't had any time lately to do anything to it I've been so busy. Updates will be slow but they will come.

·
stock cylinder killer
1,005 Posts
Nice zillla you got there. Good advice from all the guys above. The 87's did seem to have more issues with the head gaskets, so when you get ready to do some more stuff to it i would address that. Get the head cut for o-rings, correct the squish, and upgrade to the bigger studs. Also get some of the billet thrust washers and the RM bearing. This will solve alot of the relaibility issuse that the zillas have. I would keep the stock carb also IMO. I had a hard time with the PWK getting it jetted correctly. You can always send the stock carb and have it worked also. The Aaen pipe seems to be a good pipe for the money, or if you can find a Q-pipe or a hall pipe used at a good deal. Any of the 3 are pretty much the best pipes to go with on these. Jerry Hall also is now making the V2 reeds that fit the 87's If your looking for some good reeds. The V3's ive heard work well also. Good luck with the bike, they are fun machines!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been a little lax on this project due to funding but I have made some progress. I got the frame completely broken down and welded in some spots and painted. I have the bare cases sent out getting inserted and the motor will be ready to go back together after that. I have some more odds and ends stripped and ready for paint. Slow going but I hope to have it as a roller this fall and maybe buttoned up sometime this spring.

Only pic I have right now.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More progress. I have the front end on for the most part. The shocks if you will notice don't have the springs. The springs are apart right now waiting to be stripped and painted. You can see them in the background by the Cobra tires. Looking good so far I think.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts