Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I have a 87 lt500r I lost the rod to the power valve which position should the lever that the rod hooks to for the PV to be set to for top end performance? As in lever pushed up or pointing down. The motor is worked so no need for it. I seen in some older post that some people made block off plugs, are there any still around that can be bought?

Thanks
Shawn :thanks:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
When you rev, it opens the valve. I believe it pushes up to open the valve, rolling it counterclockwise (when looking at the engine from the clutch side).

Here's the position on my '87 LT250R, at -0- throttle (obviously) in the first pic...

Wait...sh!t...I don't know. I added a pic of the side of my 250 with the clutch off. The gear above on the powervalve actuator rotates clockwise when the engine is running. Hence, one would deduce that the clockwise rotation would "pull" the rod down and open the valve.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't even know it had stopped working until I tore it down last time. So my thoughts are whats the use of hooking it back up.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
245 Posts
are you dragging the zilla or are you using it for recreational stuff? if draging just lock it in the open position, if not drag, i would replace it, it helps on the lower end of the powerband and if you have an aftermarket pipe your supposed to turn it like a quarter turn in to help out. might aswell make all the power you can right

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mainly do circle track or ice racing so mostly top end. Normally I agree with making all the power I can but it has given me problems before. :thanks:

·
Registered
497 Posts
if you are racing and especially if it is cold, and if its real cold, block it off. The Zilla PV is worthless

DrQ can call me a Fool, but block it off. And if you are running this "special" pipe, it doesnt matter if you turn it 1/4 extra turn.. Thats all BS.. I have done the testing, it's all hype

·
Registered
88 Posts
They way I look at it, the Engineers at Suzuki spent lots of time and money on the design of the LT500, seems if it was worthless wouldn't they have removed it in the re-designed 88/89/90 models?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think it is mislabeled as a PV.. should have just been called a Exhaust valve..
Maybe they saw how worthless it was and thats why they didnt make a 91'.
Ice racing in the freezing cold with that linkage and bearing mechanism running thru cold tranny oil would make that PV operate and open differently every time..
Gotta remember Suzuki also did all their R&D on a completely STOCK package when designing these.
Too each their own

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will know more after this weekend when I get a chance to ride it. Nothing like flying around a frozen pond in 10 degree temps right!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts