Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to 2-strokes. I just bought a 1987 polaris Cyclone 250x. The guy I bought it from said the automatic oil injector failed, so he just started pre-mixing his fuel. The problem I have is he said he was putting 8 oz of oil for every gallon of fuel. I may not know too much but that sounds like alot! when I ran it it filled my garage with smoke. I cant find any info on what ratio to mix. What do you guys think? he said it was bored .020 over, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
396 Posts
we mix our oil roughly around 1 pint to 3 gallons, which i think is about 28:1 or 30:1 or somewhere around there if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it okay to use regular gas and any 2 stroke oil, or should I be running premium and good synthetic 2 stroke oil?

·
Old School but still Cool
2,842 Posts
That is twice the oil needed. It didn't hurt the engine much, but I bet it fouled more than a couple of plugs. Use half that amount per gallon and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He took the Injection gear out and I bekieve put some kind of plate on it and removed the tank. I have a new one that he gave me, I may put it in sometime when I got the time. I haven't mixed any gas yet, just got the atv last week, and still running the gas that was in it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yea that guy was just wasting money, smoky son of a bitch. Tree huggers would have love to chew your ass if they seen that fucker running. 4 ounces per gallon is 32:1 and that is plenty. Use Premium fuel and get you self some Klotz Techniplate. You won't go wrong with that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Post a few pics. I have never seen one of them.

·
Registered
14,217 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah its not the prettiest atv I've seen, but from what I hear its fast for a Polaris. Its my first one so I figure the price was right, and you gotta start somewhere right??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have any of you used Polaris Pure oil? Buddy of mine picked some up the other day and I mixed it 32:1 on 93 octane and the cyclone starts on one pull now!! Do you still think I should switch to the Klotz or Amsoil?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love your artistic rendition!! I was thinking about the flat black paint job, but alot of people say that when the paint chips of scratches it'll look like crap with the white underneath. I did a flat black rattle can job on the mower in the background that you can sorta see, but haven't had it though the trails yet. Thinkin about puttin a 2 stroke dirt bike motor on it next winter... Aimin for 55 mph. once I get my heads back from getting reworked it should do 30!!

·
Live to Ride-Ride to Live
3,139 Posts
Love your artistic rendition!! I was thinking about the flat black paint job, but alot of people say that when the paint chips of scratches it'll look like crap with the white underneath.
I've had good luck with krylon industrial osha spray paint, on a beater of mine. I sanded the plastic with 220 grit sand paper, and then used 2 coats of self rising primer. then sanded it with 800 grit, and then sprayed krylon industrial osha red spray paint. I've flexed it, ran knives and screwdrivers and haven’t scratched it. The only way I can get it off is with paint stripper:shock3:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
where do you get that paint?? i was also thinking about buffing out he scratches. keep em stock cuz they are in ok shape, no cracks, just minor scratches and yellowing. but they are hard to come by cuz this is a fairly rare(from what i've read) atv, and the plastics could be worth a few bucks in descent shape

·
Live to Ride-Ride to Live
3,139 Posts
where do you get that paint?? i was also thinking about buffing out he scratches. keep em stock cuz they are in ok shape, no cracks, just minor scratches and yellowing. but they are hard to come by cuz this is a fairly rare(from what i've read) atv, and the plastics could be worth a few bucks in descent shape
I got the krylon industrial osha spray paint at a napa auto store, and the self riseing primer I got at walmart in the auto section. Keeping the plastic stock might be a good deal......... but do what you want.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts