Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who recently bought a 1996 CR125R. He layed it down in his truck to get it home which I thought was not such a great idea.

Everytime he runs the thing, it fouls plugs and ends up with oil coating the spark plug. Oil also comes out of the exhaust pipe. I'm a 4stroke guy and don't know much about 2strokes :confused:

He just put a new top end on it and the problem is still there.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,580 Posts
Laying it on its side should not effect the bike. 2-Stroke motors are built to run any direction you want them to. What Ratio is he mixing his gas at. Sounds to me like he is running rich on his mix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Banshee said:
Laying it on its side should not effect the bike. 2-Stroke motors are built to run any direction you want them to. What Ratio is he mixing his gas at. Sounds to me like he is running rich on his mix.
Thanks for the reply. He's running 40:1 mix using synthetic oil. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
8,580 Posts
That does not sound to unreasonable he might want to try backing that off to 45:1 to see if it helps if it doesn't try it at 52:1 but that is as fas as I would go.
Don't mix a ton at those ratios just do maybe 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon just to test it. How long does it take for the plug to get nasty does it happen in one day of riding on a new plug or is it take a little while?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is it smoking real bad and smell like burnt oil??? Check the Power Valve to see if its stuck and check the seal. Then check the Crank seal on the clutch cover side, that may be bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yunggunnazracing said:
Is it smoking real bad and smell like burnt oil??? Check the Power Valve to see if its stuck and check the seal. Then check the Crank seal on the clutch cover side, that may be bad.
The bike doesn't smoke very bad at all. How do you check the power valve to see if it's stuck? I have a feeling it's some kind of seal gone bad but I really don't know enough about motors to even know where to begin to look.

Thanks for the great advice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Okay, Look on the right side (clutch Cover side) and its a cover on the cylinder, take that off and the look and see if there is alot of oil in there, if so then its that seal gone.

·
Banned
0 Posts
40:1

what brand of premix are you using. are you shue it's oil or is it just commming out with a black plug. i'd check the main jetting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
370banshee said:
40:1

what brand of premix are you using. are you shue it's oil or is it just commming out with a black plug. i'd check the main jetting.
It's definitely oil/gas mix coming out. I'm not sure what kind of premix he's using but I know it's synthetic and recommended by the Honda dealership he's been getting parts from.

·
Banned
0 Posts
rty using a different brand of premix. i use spectro because it's cheap. my buddies also use spectro. i have a bottle of belray that i picked up for "emergencies" one of my buddies used the belray and it fouled his plug out quick. different premixes work differnely. some work well others don't. i mix my fuel 32:1. or whatever 1 bottle of spectro to 5 gallons of gas is.

·
FMF Whore
1,776 Posts
32:1 is usually 4oz of oil to 1 gallon of fuel.

1 gallon = 128 oz

128 oz / 32units = 4 oz

How big are those spectro bottles you are dumpin into 5 gallons? If they aren't 20oz then you aren't running at 32:1.

Sorry for bringing the math out, it's the dork within coming out again.

I used to figure out the oz's by lookin at the side of the bottle all the time. I eventually caved in and bought one of those ratio-rite cups with a lid. It's just so much easier and more accurate then trying to eye it up all the time. Especially if you have a gallon left of premixed fuel in your 5 gallon can and want to fill it up without getting rid of that gallon.

Everyone's suggestions seem to be on par to me. If you are sure you are mixing it at 40:1 then I'd say it's gotta be a seal somewhere. Have you checked the case oil? Is it losing oil? Are there drops of fuel in it?

·
Banned
0 Posts
well hell i must be running at like 40:1 then because it's only a 16oz bottle i think. anyway that what i run 1 bottle of spectro to every 5 gallons of gas and it works just fine. i don't think the trans case oil is leaking into the engine if that what your getting at. the cases would have to warp for that to happen that or maybe somebody didn't put all the case bolts back in?? i don't really see it being the power valve eithr being that it doesn't have oil in it either. it just uses the lubrication from premix oil. at least my LT does. try changing your jetting. i bet your just running really rich.

·
Banned
0 Posts
i never thoguyht about the airbox lid. that a good idea. but if you do take off the airbox lid than you absolutly need to use a brand new plug and check it after about a half hour riding time for color. oh shit you know what just popped into my head. how old is the air filter. if it's old and shitted up it would make you run rich also. try cleaning the filter out good. then if that doesn't work check jetting or take the lid off. but like i said check jetting with the lid off. if you go way lean you can say bye bye piston.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i got a question if i may? does he lay it down every time he takes it to ride?

·
Registered
12 Posts
No more puked plugs

I have the same bike. I recently bought my cr 125 and i had the same problem. I would constently puke plugs or leak tuns of oil out of my pipe. The problem was simply 1 of 3 things, he is either running too lean of a gass mixture, ( he should run 32/1) but thats his choice, or hes not keeping his bike in a hi RPM. 2 - srokes are not made to idle if u let it idle it will dye. if he thinks he puked his plug all he has to do is hold his throttle wide open and kick it a few times and the bike should fire up. Lastly it also could depend on what pipe and sillencer he has. if he is a woods rider i recamend a FMF fatty pipe with a FMF shorty silencer.---------Good luck and write back to tell me how he makes out. you can contact me direcly at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My YZ125 used to foul plugs too. Running the fuel richer isnt going to help anything, its going to make it worse because theres more oil and a spark plug cant ignite oil. Try mixing your fuel at 45:1 and when u start the bike let it warm up for about 5 minutes just idling (dont rev it up alot for a few minutes). The YZ used to start and id let it warm up for like 1 or 2 minutes and then you could go for about 3 minutes and it would foul a plug.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Taking your air box lid off won't make that much of a difference, i took my whole airbox off and run a uni pod filter straight off the carb. You could have a bad crank seal though, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the cases shouldn't have to warp at all, it will pull the oil through the bad seal, throught the crank bearing and into the crank, into the piston. Does he keep it cleaned out? Did the problem exist before he got the bike?

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
ok it sounds to me like the pipe and or silencer could be plugged.Ive seen it happen lots and it will cause your problem.hope it helps!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts