Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to begin with i'm very average in the mechanical department, i'm learning but i'm also only 16 so i have almost no experience. My problem started when i realized that my oil drain plug was missing (Did not ride with it missing) and i needed a new one. So is I searched various forums for sizes and info etc. and found multiple people saying that it was a 14mm with 1.25 thread pitch so i bought one on amazon... It came in eventually but when i wen't to thread it on i realized it was extremely loose and that it didn't thread in all the way to create anywhere near a seal. So i looked at the threads and they are very flat and look like they wouldn't hold a stock drain plug. So i went back on some forums and i found a few things but nothing that was definite or that gave a good explanation. So my question is, what is the best way to repair stripped threads for an oil plug. or if i have the wrong measurements for the plug itself. Also i don't have a good budget so the safest cheapest way it what i'm looking for.

PS. i'm open to the helicoil stuff but not 100% how it works so if someone could give a little insight on that it be great. Also if there's a better term for the oil drain plug that I should be using please tell me.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Old post, but yeah sounds stripped out, probably why the first one fell out. You can either helicoil it or upsize and retap. Helicoils arent the cheapest, and you would need the kit with the tap/drill bit/handle, altho there are other brands that sell for cheaper.
I would drill it out and tap it to 16mm. Would have to buy the tap, look up the proper drill bit size for the tap and buy a new drain plug. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts