Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88 LT250R. I posted before but i thought we fixed it. Bike out of nowhere just wont start. Pulled the carb off head off reeds out etc. Comp is good carb appears to be good shooting starter fluid in doesnt make a difference plug is wet. Powervalve isnt stuck. Went through the wiring and ohmed out the coil and it appeared to be good. Kicked the bike over with the headlight on and the light came on. Kicked kicked kicked nothing. Got the bike home fired first kick ran great. Shut it off started right up. Coupla days later kick kick kick nothing. The spark doesnt appear to be that great. Im thinkin CDI box. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
654 Posts
kill switch bad???

·
1986 Honda TRX 250r
2,613 Posts
cdi, coil, ground, stator. 1 or more of those things are weak and need replacing im sure.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im sure its ignition too. Pull start it still wont run. Went all through the wiring and took the kill switch apart and cleaned all the sand and crap out of there and made sure it was working properly. I dont wanna start shotgunning parts at it. Whats another way to check the stator besides kickin it over with the headlight on?

·
Registered
654 Posts
i think your head light and ign coils are different

·
Registered
354 Posts
lighting coils are the two bare copper looking ones, your ignition is the one that looks like it is wrapped up with insulation.

The magneto ignition coil should read 315-475 ohms between the Black-red and the Black-white wires.

Also make sure you have a good connection to the frame for ground on your ignition coil (the one with the spark plug wire coming from it)
This coil should have 1 ohm between the + lead and grounding tabs...and
3-5 Kohm between the spark plug cap and + lead

Make sure the magneto flywheel isnt rusted on that nub that sticks up for the pickup coil. there should be about a paper thickness between that and the coil.
This pickup coil should read between 175-265 ohms between the Blue and Black-white wires

before all that, try different spark plugs. they can foul pretty easily when you're having intermittent power issues. have some known good ones on hand and don't rely on just one when you're trying to troubleshoot spark. in fact, instead of a plug, stick a screwdriver in the cap and hold the screwdriver shaft close to bare metal ground to see if it sparks

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
lighting coils are the two bare copper looking ones, your ignition is the one that looks like it is wrapped up with insulation.

The magneto ignition coil should read 315-475 ohms between the Black-red and the Black-white wires.

Also make sure you have a good connection to the frame for ground on your ignition coil (the one with the spark plug wire coming from it)
This coil should have 1 ohm between the + lead and grounding tabs...and
3-5 Kohm between the spark plug cap and + lead

Make sure the magneto flywheel isnt rusted on that nub that sticks up for the pickup coil. there should be about a paper thickness between that and the coil.
This pickup coil should read between 175-265 ohms between the Blue and Black-white wires

before all that, try different spark plugs. they can foul pretty easily when you're having intermittent power issues. have some known good ones on hand and don't rely on just one when you're trying to troubleshoot spark. in fact, instead of a plug, stick a screwdriver in the cap and hold the screwdriver shaft close to bare metal ground to see if it sparks
Great info!!

·
1985-1986 Lt250r Genius
2,332 Posts
Good electrical trouble shooting information, This should be in the "sticky".
The CDI rarely go bad, however they do.
Do you get any spark at all, or is it not there.
Check the connection where the coil wire meets the 90 degree connection going to the plug. This somtimes pulls out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
just went through the same problem with mine replaced cdi nothing, coil nothing it ended up being the stator i ordered it from rickystator.com 125$ extra power for the lights. or you can just replace your coil on your stator works just as good for 1/4 of the price good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just some feedback by someone with the same problem..

Intermittent spark, but lights would light up while kicking. Ride for a while, and when its warmed up it just cuts out and dies. After checking and cleaned all connections, checking resistance, replacing spark plug, coil and plug boot, I bought a CDI from Ricks Motorsports and it purrs like a kitten. Good luck to you all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts