Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 1986 atc 250r bottom end rebuilt with a hot rods crank and oem bearings. The shop didn't use a case gasket they used yamabond.(said they did this because it didn't have a gasket in there when they took it apart that it was yamabonded) I was wondering if anyone has done this without having problems or should it be ok? When I bought the bike 2 years ago it didn't have a case gasket but I only rode it a handful of times and didn't have a problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everyone is telling me that they are suppose to have case gasket. They also said they wouldn't run without one because it could throw off the tolerances in the bottom end. So I was wondering has anyone ran without a case gasket and used (yamabond,Hondabond,etc) with any problems

·
Registered
205 Posts
I personally have never built a bottom end, without using a center case gasket. Honda supplies one in there gasket kits. I'm sure there have been plenty built without. Good luck.

·
1986 Honda TRX 250r
2,613 Posts
As long as no one has done any machine work to the cases, or the tranny or crank, I would NOT EVER run WITHOUT a gasket in between the cases. This is the way honda designed them. Now the question is, did someone modify things so it will work without a gasket? My YZ 125 does not, never offered a gasket for it. So i used yamabond. My TRX 250r, always came with a center gasket, and i always used it. Who knows, that 20 or 25 thousandths that come from removing the gasket could be enough to pinch the end of the tranny, or the crank inbetween the crank cases and cause major issues, or faster wear.

all 250r's, as a fact, come from the factory with a gasket in between the center case halves.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Back in the olden days I overhauled 2 different Honda twins with no center gaskets. I didn’t think to say that they were 4 stroke twins.
:Dope::Dope::Dope::Dope:

·
Registered
19 Posts
you will need the center case gasket. The way you have it now your engine will never seal properly, or if you try and do a pressure test on your motor it will never seal properly. Therefore causing an air leak and destroying your engine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
over the years theres been a few engines that didnt use a gasket. all honda dirt machines used a gasket as far as im aware. seems like some of the yamaha and kawi stuff might not of had a gasket but im not real familiar with them engines so i could be wrong. if the engine originally had a gasket it should be put back in simply because it was designed with specific amounts of end float on all the shafts. without the gasket on a engine that originally had one, most likely everything will bind up......crankshaft, tranny shafts, gear shifter, kickstarter.... everything

when you have idiots assembling these engines you normally end up with missing gaskets, coffee can of extra bolts and pistons in backwards

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
If I am correct the Honda is like the Suzuki 2 strokers where they use "Yama", "Honda",or "Three bond" sealer instead of a center case gasket.

The thickness of a "Honda" center gasket is relatively thin and I don't see that causing the trans to bind when assembled and torqued. It kinda sounds to me like there is a thrust washer or shim installed incorrectly, shouldn't be where it is currently or not even suppose to be there because the previous tech that reassembled it added it to the assembly because it happened to be in the pile of parts when it was assembled.

I may be wrong but, something doesn't sound right.

The 4 strokers have a center gasket but most 2 strokers if not all use gasket sealer instead of a paper gasket.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There isnt 1/8 of play in the crank or in the trans... this would cause major gear movement,,,

YOU HAVE TO RUN A GASKET on a honda motor !

dont says "it dont sound right to me" I've tried it it dont work, crank wont turn over witout the gasket ! And NO there wasnt any kind of washer ?!?!? there is no washer on the crank ,,, do you put washer between the crank and bearing on your 250r !?!?

Everything is clearanced according to the gasket... Cmon guys its a fucking 15 buck gasket, if you dont have money for a gasket set you dont have money to own a 2r...

Treebond i perfect for making a "junkiard" motor,, it squirth everywhere on the inside and outside... no tanks

·
2 stroke thinker
2,062 Posts
YOU HAVE TO RUN A GASKET on a honda motor !

Well, then run a gasket !

No reason to get pissed!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dude fuckin lay off, mgty was just trying to give you your answer and be friendly. No need to go turning into a dick just because he talked about sealant and your having a mental breakdown putting your motor back together.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry man, didnt know you guys had a policy against that. My bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im not having a mental breakdown, Im just done of people who says "i think that" or "my friend hill billy says" Rather than listening to the one who had done it and take time to post anwser.

Even if i said : no ive done it and it dont work, there is someone to argue ? wtf am i speaking for ? tree ?

Again i dont give a ** if you wanna grind your crank bearing so you can glue bot casse with a 10 $ treebond stick,

And yes im done repeating the same thing all over again and again beeing seen as an idiot !

·
Registered
64 Posts
Geesh, all this about a center gasket. Lol. Sorry, I'm not going to swear at anyone.
I agree that they show one on the parts fiche but it's discontinued. I guess a aftermarket gasket company could be wasting their time in making one.
Like mentioned a yama/honda/three bond is used.
Baldwin Motorsports, Curtis Sparks, TC (Tom Carlson), Chris Grissom. These are examples of a few of the best motor builders there is and non of them ever used a center gasket on my daughters Honda 250R.
I've also done my 250R bottom end w/o gasket. Never a issue.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yeah, really!! Pissy Pissy! The OEM center case gasket is not discontinued. You can get them from Motosport Outlet, Rocky Mtn. Eddie at ESR sells them as well. Use it or not!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts