Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about to pick up a blaster for the wife. It has a Toomey B-1 ( I think that's the model) and holeshots all the way around. What other mods would be recommended for a beginner level woods rider/play rider? I'm not new to quads/dirt bikes, just blasters.

·
Honey Badger
6,471 Posts
If it doesn't have the oil injection block off kit I re commend one. Gets rid of oil pump so you have to pre mix your fuel. When you guys get a little more serious I'd upgrade the shocks also. They are pretty harsh in stock form

·
Registered
245 Posts
Shocks would be the best upgrade for trail riding. Get yourself some custom bushings from Ken OConner racing and mount a 400ex or Z400 on the rear. Keep an eye out for some used Works brand front shocks .

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
What year blaster are you looking at? If it's one of the older models I would look into upgrading the brakes. The cable operated brakes aren't very good on the older ones.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd planned on the oil injection block off. Would 40:1 be fine? That's what I run in my banshee and would like to have just one jug of gas, rather than remembering which one is which. The shocks... by harsh, I assume they are too stiff. Does this mean I could safely add a set of +2 a-arms on the factory shocks? I'll keep a lookout for the rear shock upgrade. As for the brakes, are there any setups out there that bolt on from other systems? I don't want to narrow my search to "blaster disc brake" unless I have to.

More than anything, I want to make it convenient for her to ride and safer for her. She's relatively new to ATVs. I wanted to widen it and add a +2 swingarm to keep her from flipping it so easily. With that being said, pwoer isn't a concern at this point. If anything, I'd limit the throttle to maybe 2/3. So, any suggestions for brands of a-arms or swingers?

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you want more stability, I'd definitely consider bolting on some wider A-Arms and maybe a banshee axle. Blasters are VERY narrow out of the factory (flipped mine ALL the time before I tore it down for a rebuild). ASR makes some nice A-arms that are pretty inexpensive. I have +3+1 A-Arms custom made by another member. They were very inexpensive and are powdercoated you're color of choice. He can do from +2 to +5 if I remember correctly. There's quite a few blasters on these forums that have his A-Arms. Great quality, great price, and a great guy. Here's a link to the A-Arms he makes. http://www.scd-racing.com/products

I run a +2+4 RPM Dominator II Banshee Axle right now, but I have used different methods of widening the quad. I tried spacers, and they worked great. I had a set up front and out back, +4" for both. I rode the shit out of it too. Jumps, woops, wheelies, etc and they held up great. They're like the $25 off eBay. They made it MUCH more stable and I was able to take turns faster. The only negative side to spacers is that the suspension geometry is off. You'll experience noticeable bump-steer.

I also ran a stock banshee axle for a while. They add +3 inches If I remember right. The only problem with it is that if you have an 88-02 blaster, you have to use the 2003-2006 Blaster brake hub. I have a 2003 Blaster so mine was just a direct swap.

As for shocks, I ran quite a few different setups as well. First thing I did when I tore it down was get new shocks. I found a cheap set of Banshee shocks on eBay in decent condition and ran them for a short amount of time. They were noticeably better, but still not what I wanted. Then, I got a deal on some Fox podium snowmobile shocks, which were a BIG improvement. Ran those for a while, and then bought a set of blown Works Dual Rate Banshee Shocks. Had them rebuilt by the same guy that makes my A-Arms. I now run them and they are superior to any shocks I have ever owned. As for the rear shock; I bought a used LTR450 rear shock on eBay. Although it is quite a large shock, it is a large improvement. You need to run bushings in order to run the shock. Any shock off of a 400/450 4 stroke should work with the bushings. These bushings can be ordered through Ken O'Connor Racing, or I'm sure you're local machinist can make them for you. The bushings I bought rusted to hell after the first ride, so I replaced them with Aluminum ones which have held up fantastic.

As for the swingarm: I've been running a stock extended swingarm for almost 2 years now with no issues. Many people hate them, many people love them, and sometimes they break. Mine has yet to break and was a quarter of the price of an aftermarket extended swingarm. I had mine done by a friend who extended my stock one 3". Of course, this helps on a stock engine to keep the front wheels down but I still struggle to keep this thing from wheelie-ing. I have aggressive porting, pipe, carb, reeds, re-machined head, etc.

There are tons and tons and tons of aftermarket for blasters so I'm sure you will make it the way you want it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, guys. Would it be easier to have a-arms made with ball joints set up to run different spindles from a different quad rather than focusing on the hubs and a-arms seperately? And by swingarm extension, do you mean the piece that added like 3 inches to the length by bolting on to where the rear hub mounts and mounting the hub to that piece or by having the actual piece extended? I could do that much easier.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to clarify the previous statement. I'd like to add disc brakes, but would like to lengthen the a-arms as well. Now, would a spindle from an ATV with modern disc brakes matched to a set of custom a-arms be a better choice than focusing on the a-arms and brakes seperately? I understand that I'll have to account for the turn ratio of the spindles to maintain proper steering characteristics.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd like to clarify the previous statement. I'd like to add disc brakes, but would like to lengthen the a-arms as well. Now, would a spindle from an ATV with modern disc brakes matched to a set of custom a-arms be a better choice than focusing on the a-arms and brakes seperately? I understand that I'll have to account for the turn ratio of the spindles to maintain proper steering characteristics.
To answer your question, a-arms have been and still can be made with other spindles in mind. I have made several sets to use banshee spindles for those folks who don't want to stick with the blaster drum brakes on the front (if yours is a 88-02 model with those. If it's a 03-06 it has the hydraulic disck brakes already installed). The banshee spindles mean that the front ends up with more ackerman angle and the length of shock is limited (the tie rod will hit the lower shock mount with the a-arms at their lowest allowable point) to factory 14.5" or just above. The 16.25" YFZ shocks are about the limit before the tie rod bind becomes an issue anything longer simply isn't doable with a "standard" setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts