Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i picked up my first quad, a 2002 Blaster, a couple of months ago. I mostly use it for trail riding with my friends. My friends are sporting a Suzuki LTZ400 and an Ozark 250. Now I am a total beginner, but I learn fast and while I found the Blaster to be rather unforgiving with the short gears initially, now I have it down. I can blow the Ozark away in a race of course, but the 400 is more of a challenge...

There are a couple of things I have noticed, and perhaps someone here can offer some advice.... I hope.

(1) When the bike is cold, my brakes squeak. This is a recent development, after maybe 25 hours of riding. Should I be concerned about that?

(2) I sometimes get sticks and other debris stuck in the bike, so I think I need a skid plate of some sort. If I were to get one skid plate, what would you suggest?

(3) I think I want some nerf bars. I just want something to prevent debris spinning off the tires onto my feet and legs. What do you think I need for that?

(4) There are add-ons.... so many that I just don't know where to start. What would you add to a stock blaster to make it a better trail bike?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
8,580 Posts
I think your on the right track for mods. For the Skid Plates GYT-R Makes some really nice skids. You should get A-Arm Guards, Full Skid and a Swing Arm Guard. The Nerf Bars I would look at getting a set of AC ProPeg's. They are the nices set I have seen out there. All that there is going to run you a pretty penny. If you decide you want more after that Look at getting an aftermarket pipe. To beat a 400 you would atleast need a Pipe kit and maybe a set of Reeds and rejet to run with out the airbox lid.

It is very wise to get skids before you get anything else. Protect your investment before you make it faster. Nothing worse than a big rock smashing your frame.

Oh yeah if you really wanna beat the 400 when racing set yourself up to the left of him. Right before you guys take off reach over and hit his kill switch. Its a cheap way to win but a funny one.

·
Banned
733 Posts
i'll have to remember this when i race one of those fast warriors. i don't think i could beat one in a straight up drag race...... they are fast

·
Banned
0 Posts
hey a blaster guy on here. we don't see many of you guys. mostly banshees and LT250's and 500's. well anyway to your question. i had a blaster for about 5 years and believe me they will take a beating. ok the skids. on mine i never "bought" a frame and a rm skids i made mine. go to a hardware store probably somewhere big liek home depo or menards or lowes or something. there you can buy sheets of this really strong plastic material. shouldn't be very expensive at all. take a piece of cardboard and stand the quad up then trace the shape of the frame and a arms onto the carboard to use a patterns. then simply cut the pieces out of that plastic. the plastic is bout 1/4 in thick and kinda slick feeling. then you can attach it about 1000 differnt ways but i used 1 hole straps for conduit. they work great they pop right over the tubes on the arms i think hte a arms were 1" straps and the frame used 1 1/4". i was really really hard on my blaster and i never broke either the frame or a arm skids. plus this costs way way less than alum ones and they wiegh less. as for beating a Z400 i say good luck. your gonna need probably a 240 big bore with about a 28-30mm carb. a pipe and some reeds the moto tasinari reed cage is great in blasters but boysen dual stage work very well also. banshee is right protect it before you make it faster. as for a swing arm skid i personally don't liek them. a blaster has crap for clearance as it is. the aftermarket skids make it wasy way worse. i ditch the rear skids on everything but i would say keep the stocker.

ok brakes a 2002 blaster should have non hyro brakes on it. the brakes on a blaster older than 2003 as CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! the fronts are squeking because they got wet i'm about 90% sure of that. the water gets into the drums and they will squek like a b*tch. the rears are worse yet. mine never worked correctly. and i've only seen a handfull that worked at all. rule #1 with old style blaster brakes KEEP THEM CLEAN. rule # 2 REPLACE THEM ASAP THEY SUCK. i know the quad is new so you'll wanna get a trnga racing hydro rear brake kit (about $300) the other way and actually better way is buy a banshee rear brake setup off of ebay but that would require welding a tab for the master cyl to the frame. thats why you'll probably go with the trenga.

pipes: don't buy whats cheap buy whats good DG is cheap and they suck big time suck all DG products i've used were worth about $5. FMF, Toomey, LRD. all make great blaster pipes

NERFS: AC racing, or graydon proline

most importantly have fun with that blaster. and keep up on miantence.
if you put a top end in a blaster once a year it will run forever and you will almost never have to bore it. i bored mine for the first time when i sold it 2 months ago. i bought it new in 98. they are great quads (minus the brakes) and will last you a very long time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's Blaster chick to you. ;-) Yes, I've noticed the brakes are a bit shady, but oh well. They'll do for now.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll start off with the skid plates and nerf bars, and turn my attention to dusting the Z400 later.

I found a set of inexpensive generic skid plates on ebay. Have a look and let me know what you think:

Blaster Skid Plate Set

Or should I stick with the brand names? There is also an AC Racing Full Skid for about $70.

·
Banned
733 Posts
blaster chick huh?? if your hot we might need some pics of you and your blaster on here just to make sure the quad is set up for your height and stuff j/k anyway buy the cheap skids. your gonna beat them up anyway.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the cheap skids don't have a hole for the oil drain plug. Do you think that's going to be a huge inconvenience?

·
Banned
0 Posts
nope put the skid on the quad temp. and mark where the drain plug is. then take it off and drill a hole in it. use like a 1"-1 1/2" hole saw. easy fix.

·
Premium Member
8,580 Posts
I have a set of Baja Skids and the whole is not even lined up correctly. So when I change my oil most of it goes on the skid plate. Especially when you get down to the last little bit it arches way out and there is not whay it is coming out of the pre-drilled hole. I plan on making mine bigger.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Am I going to have to drill holes in my frame to install these skid plates? How exactly do they attach - They seem to come with all the hardware needed to install them, but if it involves drilling into the Blaster frame, I might have a professional handle that for me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,580 Posts
The holes are probably offset from the frame. Then it will have a bolt that goes into a hook of some sort that will hold the skid to the frame. I would not think you would have to drill the frame if you do I would try to sell the skids to someone else. Drilling into your frame is something you really don't want to do. Unless of coarse you are racing and want to lighten the frame. Good luck and let us know who those skids work

·
Banned
0 Posts
no it all goes on with the supplied hardware that pretty much jusr sandwiches the frame tube between the skid and the mount and uses long bolts to pull those pieces together. it about a 30 min job and should be very easy to do with just common hand tools

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice on the skids. I think I'll save some dough and order the steel skids off ebay and see what happens. I'll let you know how they work out.

·
Banned
0 Posts
sound like a plan. oh yeah if the steel skid make the quad feel heavy then just drill holes randomly in the skid oh yeah put some E2S stickers on the bottom and lets see some cool jump pics. make sure to get the sticker in the pic j/k

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like I need to replace my rear tires on the Blaster in the near future. Someone recommended Holeshot? This is mostly for trail riding, so what do you think I should buy to replace the stock rear tires? Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts