Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to an RD350 motor that is in great shappe almost brand new.... i am thinking of putting it in a blaster or warrior frame.... it looks just like a banshee motor and the guy told me the case was the exact same... does any one have any experience with these? pro's con's things to look for???

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks... yeah i knew it was aircooled that is kinda why i wanted to throw it in a blaster or warrior... the guy thought that if the bike gears were the wrong size i could interchange them with a shee.... but he wanted me to check that out.... even if i can get 40 or 50 hp out of it ... in a blaster frame.... that would tear shit up or at least be one of those things people look at and say WTF.....

it looks like a set of banshee pipes will mount right up with little of no modifications....

·
Registered
14,217 Posts

·
DEY TUK ER JUBBS
3,224 Posts
that sounds like it would be a awesome project. I wonder if that motor would vibrate much in a quad frame like a big bore single does. I sure hope it doesnt,

·
Registered
119 Posts
ky 2stroker said:
that sounds like it would be a awesome project. I wonder if that motor would vibrate much in a quad frame like a big bore single does. I sure hope it doesnt,
The vibration is very minimal. Yes it is a fun project. By the way a stock rd350 is going to have like 36hp. If you decide to put this in a blaster frame be prepaired to cut out some supports in the engine cradle and weld in a new support. I built an 88 blaster with a 1971 R5350 twin. Basically the same engine as the RD, except it doesnt run reeds. It screamed like a raped ape. And that was using stock gearing all the way around. Here is a couple pics of it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Duneman101 said:
it looks like a set of banshee pipes will mount right up with little of no modifications....
Banshee pipes will not mount right up. There is not enough room from the front of the engine to the frame. You will have to get creative with the exhaust and cut it and reshape the head pipes to get the to fit around a blaster frame. I just made my own 2 into 1, using an expansion chamber from a dirt bike that had the basic bends i needed. Its actually an easy project, just the little things get to ya and piss ya off.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats hella awesome.... I think i just might do it... the guy only wants 300 for the motor and i bet i can pick up a crapo blaster for 6-800 bones......

i wonder if i did some outa frame drags if it would be better/easier than trying to wrap the pipes around the frame???

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would suggest forgetting the banshee pipes all together, and get a pair of racing pipes for the RD350. The headpipe bends are dang near perfect for the blaster frame and the expansion chambers are tuned better for that engine. I was running the stock pipes on mine for awhile, which dont use expansion chambers, they are just the same as 4-stroke pipes. The racing pipes will give you the out of frame look and will really wake that engine up. Just remember that you are going to have to run a battery, and make sure you get the regulator and rectifier and wiring harness for that engine. If the voltage in the battery drops to around 11 volts one of the coils usually quits working. I had that problem alot, A new regulator solved that problem. Plus upgrading to flamethrower car coils makes a huge differance. And definetly get a 6 over swinger, unless you like spending time on your back with the quad on top of you.

·
DEY TUK ER JUBBS
3,224 Posts
blaster350 that thing looks awesome! do you got anymore pics of it? and just wondering, how does that motor work without reed valves? nice job though, I bet it hauls ass.

and what about using a different frame other than the blaster's? I know its what everybody uses to but a big over size motor in cause its a small and light weight frame. but like what about using a banshee frame to put the rd350 in? i mean it would probably fit right in pretty easy wouldnt it? or like a warrior or a raptor frame, they got alot of room to fit a engine in dont they?

·
Registered
119 Posts
ky 2stroker said:
blaster350 that thing looks awesome! do you got anymore pics of it? and just wondering, how does that motor work without reed valves? nice job though, I bet it hauls ass.

and what about using a different frame other than the blaster's? I know its what everybody uses to but a big over size motor in cause its a small and light weight frame. but like what about using a banshee frame to put the rd350 in? i mean it would probably fit right in pretty easy wouldnt it? or like a warrior or a raptor frame, they got alot of room to fit a engine in dont they?
I only have a couple pics of it, I sold it a little while ago. But yes it hauled ass. It was nothing to stay neck and neck with stock banshees. I personally wouldnt waste a banshee frame on such an outdated engine. But a warrior frame would work great, because of the extra room in the cradle. I actually have a spare warrior that Im thinking of making into another frankinquad. But with this one I would either go with with a RZ350 or a 750cc 4-stroke. I guess I'll just see what kind of mood im in when the time comes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
eviltwin said:
really neat projects guys ,always good to see the handy work of a creative horspower hungry red blooded american mind . id like to see a ported rd400 cradled in a blaster frame
Now that would be nice. The 400's stock I think are like 45hp. I would go with a LC model. Uhg now im itching to start my new project

1 - 15 of 15 Posts