Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has me tearing my hair out. I have a 1988 KX250 with a big bore kit. I have had it since 1989. I rebuilt it for about the fortieth time over last winter and have ridden it a few times since the rebuild. (all new bottom end, piston, rings etc.). Maybe 20 easy hours since a complete tear down including a new used carb due to heavy wear and pitting on the old one. I pulled the old jets and reused them. It started easily and rode fine but the jetting has been off so last week I rode it for 20 minutes, pulled the carb and went down one size on the pilot. It never started again. I am baffled. I have tried three new plugs (nice hot spark) cleaned and blew out the carb. It is clean. I have had it apart five times and I returned the old pilot jet even though the new one was brand new. The carb is as far as I know perfect. Float height is correct. New Boyeson reeds when I did the rebuild. When I pull the plug it is wet but it doesn't even pop. And this is a bike that starts fifth kick cold and second hot all its life. What am I missing?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
old magneto. due to heat and being dropped they lose magnetic force. If you can push start it and it runs till you let the revs drop then that is due to the magnet. Stator coil voltage drops with revs so the magnet is most critical at low revs. My '89 CR250 had a bad magnet and wouldn't idle.
It's either that or you missed something that you think you covered.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts