Everything2Stroke Forum banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
So I've been sick for 5 days now and yesterday was off work with my son cause he's sick too. Needless to say haven't gotten any tuning on the Zilla done however yesterday during the first 10 mins of my sons nap I drew up a rough draft for my wheelie bar setup. Used a site that DMoneyallstar linked to in the long travel a arms thread to get materials estimates. Rough estimate on materials cost including bungs, heims, clevis and tubing should be around $135. I have a friend that professionally races go karts going to see if he has any extra old front wheels laying around. Here's a picture of the drawing it's not to scale, the wheelie bar will be my bikes wheel base plus about 6-8".

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I have not I'm planning to next week gotta go buy a couple things to be able to do it. But because of how it's idling ok and not running away I'm pretty sure I'm sealed up on the air leak side. I have the needle clip on a pretty lean setting which is why it hangs I believe.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ya it doesn't sound too bad by any means at all. Just after the ordeal I went through with my 88 I just always recommend a good leak down test! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
why after building the airbox elim., are you running the airbox? I bought one off of ebay and havent had a chance to install it on the bike, its nice smooth aluminum tig welded nicely. I figured I would have to rejet the bike after I install it. Is that a good guess? Right now its jetted perfect, it was 65 here last sunday and my son and I went out riding in the bluffs and I was pulling 3rd and 4th gear wheelies, never fouled a plug and did a lot of putting around letting him follow me on his little arctic cat 50. Ran a full tank of gas through it. Makes me want to put the airbox elim on the other bike and leave mine the way it is! Anyway, I got your im about the airbox elim, and I already have one but at the cost your selling them I would take another anyway for a spare or for the other bike.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
I didn't put the stock airbox on I put my custom airbox back on cause I'm going on a ride in some knarly trails down in Kentucky that are going to likely be wet and muddy I'm also putting an outerwears water repellant pre filter on. Putting just the airbox on did make a difference even though it's an open top box and still running the 9" k&n. I would say when you put your eliminator bracket on with, don't know or not, a bigger filter you're likely in for some rejetting and tuning time. It flows a lot more air having nothing around the filter. When I get some more brackets made ill PM you and get one out to you. I only planned on running my eliminator when racing or drag racing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
So took the 500 out to the farm this evening. The thing rips it is by far the most powerful bike all through the power from low rpm to high I've ever ridden. Didn't gps my speed down the road but I had to be doing at least 75-80 mph and I didn't even wind it out. I need to do some work on the brakes bleeding them and getting them tighter. Bad news is once I took it for a spin when I got back it was crying coolant from the weep hole. Guess I need to grind a little more off my impeller shaft. Didn't pull the plug cause didn't have time.

Got my dads 400 completely tore down and would've had it back together today but he needs a new cylinder. Some pretty deep gouges in his so ordering a cylinder for it from Jason tomorrow.

·
Registered
330 Posts
could be worse... I was riding sunday and the damn thing wouldn't idle down, knew it was an air leak! I found it right underneath the intake, where the cylinder meets the case halves. There was a glimer of oil and a little residue coming out, not much but enough. Anyway I shut it down immediately and I think I saved it from major problems(fingers crossed). have to tear the damng thing apart and put a new base gasket, possibly some three bond where the case halves meet, it looks to be leaking under the gasket, not the cases. Any ideas?? Im probably gonna rering it while its apart anyway, only about 10 hrs on it but why not, its apart.

·
Registered
572 Posts
They always leak there, never put one together without a dab of sealant where the halves meet. I wouldn't put new rings in it already. If you put rings in it you should hone it too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
So last night got to a stopping point on reassembling my dads kfx400 top end and got some jetting done on my carb (didn't test it though) also installed a z400 front master cylinder and lever, found out I'm missing a break pad on one side (likely from the riding I did at our barn/farm a couple weekends ago. Got the rear snid plate on it and the outwears pre filter on my 9" k&n. Going to likely do some type of lid or outerwears water repellant material lid for this ride next weekend (pretty deep and knarly river crossing). Also got my new helmet yesterday Air Force vet in me couldn't had to go with this graphic scheme!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
So was supposed to do some shake down riding yesterday. I had a drip coming from my weep hole so I pulled the water pump off an the bolt had backed out. I grinded some more off the shaft and as I'm putting it back together the impeller bolt snaps off in the shaft. Just read the manual I was supposed to put loctite on that bolt and didn't. Oops so ordered two of those will be in this week with my front brake pads, also discovered with the LtR footpegs you can't press the rear brake pedal down. Getting some either chromoly or aluminum spacers and some longer stronger bolts. Did however get my idle set perfectly and my plastics cut and put on.

http://youtu.be/9T_577nQwHk

·
Registered
330 Posts
nice looking machine man! Like the yellow and black look.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Will look a lot better once I get my oem custom black and gray graphics on it. Look something like this.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Bumped the pilot to a 30, no longer hangs when reved due to dropping the needle to the third clip position.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Like the oem hood better than that maier pic, those graphics look good, whos doing them for you?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Some updates on my machine had to buy new v2 reeds bike backfired and blew the old ones into the k&n. Backfire was caused by loose motor mounts causing a grounding issue. Picked up some new front shocks used Works AT steelers triple rates with remote rezzies. Also picked up an extra stock swing arm for $75 that I'm having stretched for free +4". Here's the shocks I'll post pics of the swing arm and bike once everything is together.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looking good man! I used spacers on my ltr pegs and my brake pedal works great. I will measure mine and let you know how long they are.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts