Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an lt80 a few months ago for the boy. Has a DG20 carb on it. Been having some issues.

1, seems like it has to run on prime. 2 lines coming from petcock. 1 line goes to carb, 1 line is capped.

2. I have it governed pretty low. About as low as can go. After about 30 minutes of my son riding it starts to progressively get slower. To the point where it wont even go without a push and hes 40lbs.

Im wondering if because it has to run on prime, maybe hes not going fast enough and the carb is slowly getting overwhelmed with gas because he is not burning it fast enough. I haven't ridden it w/o govern so dont know if it will do this without.

Any suggestions?

fyi, took petcock off cleaned it. took carb apart, pretty clean inside, float seemed to be working okay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My daughter has the KFX 80 its the same as the lt and it has the DG carb on it too and im having problems with it idling rite or if it idles i will bog out and back fire out the tail pipe any ideas?? it also has the DG pipe on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish this forum was more active :/ Still having problems with that kit. I got a new pet cock, new lines etc. The problem I have is that without the filter on it, it runs pretty much okay. It its just a little choppy at full throttle. when I put the filter on it and run it full throttle, it runs very very strong for 20 seconds, then bogs out and dies. then its very hard to get started again, almost as if its flooded.

I had ordered an ebay carb and that thing was just junk. Constantly had issues with it. Im almost to the point of just saying screw it and going to stock carb and airbox setup.

·
Registered
64 Posts
"Im almost to the point of just saying screw it and going to stock carb and airbox setup."
Now there is a good idea! I've not had any issues with the ebay stock replacement carbs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did a compression check and was at 70. so i know it needs to be rebuilt at the very least. I am just wondering if the very low compression would cause the bogging at the top end like that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
WOW, 70 is low.
I'd suspect that it is causing the top end problem.
I can do the piston bore if needed.
Or send it to Mr. Tice :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from out of town. The weird thing is that the cylinder and piston don't look bad. I expected it to be badly scarred but it just didn't look bad.

I'm going to order a rebuild kit. But the cylinder looks good, so I had planned on just getting a piston kit. LT80, not sure if I could text you, if maybe you can PM your number I'd love to text you some pictures. I'm new to all this mechanic stuff but YouTube has been good to me. Let me know, or I can email you.

One thing I noticed it was missing a gasket, wondering if that was causing the low compression.

·
Super Moderator
3,874 Posts
Listen to lt80. Determine what bore its on and take the jug to the machine shop and see if it'll clean up at the next bore. Buy the appropriate sized piston and take IT and the jug to the shop to be bored. A good shop will need to mic the piston before boring.

I'd recommend buying a stock carb and air box. I hated the DG20 on my daughters lt80 also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts