Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a bored,88 cylinder new piston, rings in my 87 lt500. Got it back together seems to run fine. The cylinder gets warm very quick. Like a minute or two. And the radiator is cold still And full. Any Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you had a look at the water pump to see if it's ok? Try running it with the radiator cap removed to see if the coolant is moving.[/QUOT
I have, doesn't really look like it's swirling or moving, just vibrates when you Rev it a little. Could it be just coincidence that it just happened to go out just when I installed the cylinder? I guess something could of got in there when I had the hose off. I did pay attention to the head gasket, I guess it's directional, but I could of been screwed up Thinking backwards

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Drain your engine of coolant, remove water pump cover, take out spark plug, kick the kicker with your hand or foot. Is the water pump impeller turning?

Don't expect your coolant to get hot right away.

Did you burp the cooling system, aka no air pockets acting against flow?

The system is pretty simple.

·
Registered
189 Posts
radiator temp should increase at a similar rate to the cylinder. if the rad stays cold you have a problem somewhere

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
radiator temp should increase at a similar rate to the cylinder. if the rad stays cold you have a problem somewhere
It does seem like the water pump is working, the water does move around when moving the throttle. I did burp the radiator. The cylinder does heat up pretty quickly, like 1-2 minutes Where you can't keep your hand on it for more than a couple seconds. It's hot and the radiator is just Slightly warm. I didn't have a problem with the old 87 cylinder. Any idea's What else might be going on?

·
Registered
189 Posts
dont worry about what the water is doing when revving the engine. that tells you nothing because the engine vabration will make it appear the water is moving when in fact it might not be. if there was a clog or the pump wasnt working then your rad would stay stone cold. since you say it gets warm in 1-2min then i would say everything is working. take it for a ride and see. rad should eventually get real hot

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok maybe I'm just being paranoid. It just seems like it heats up to quick, like hot hot in 1-2 min. Maybe I'll take it on a quick ride and keep an eye on it. Air cooled motors don't even heat up that quick I didn't think.

·
Registered
189 Posts
did you use a stop watch ? maybe your 2min is more like 4 or 5min. cylinder shouldnt be extremely hot in 2min, if it is then maybe your water isnt circulating for whatever reason. like i said its easy to see when the water is not circultaing correct. the rad should rise in temp similar to the cylinder, UNLESS you had a thermostat but very few recreational engines had them and im pretty sure the lt500 had no thermostat unless some redneck put one on after the fact. and if the cylinder gets very hot very quicky and the rad is still pretty cold then thats a red flag

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Have you done a plug chop to check your jetting? Maybe you're just running lean and getting too hot, too fast.

More Q's...
- Idling okay?
- Good compression?
- No air leaks?
- What was your piston/wall clearance on the bore job?
- What oil run/mix?
- Stock carb? What jets?
- Clutch cover gasket on/oriented right?
- Head gasket on/oriented right?
- Got any pics of this rig? Let's see the patient! lol

When I get back from riding around, the jug is can't-touch-this-hot, and the hose to the water pump is just warm. But just sitting there idling, it will take 5-10minutes for the jug to get can't-touch-this-hot (heat cycle). This is from yesterday. I ran mine for the 1st time since the week after Christmas! Been too long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couldn't figure out how to post a pic, but its got good compession, idles good, starts easy, I think the bore is 88mm, plug was black and a little wet, so I went down to a 178 main, the power valve wasn't adjusted right so I adjusted it. It seems to get hot in about 3 min. I did time it. Clutch cover gasket is fine didn't do it with original cylinder. It might have something to do with the head gasket I guess. Carb is a pwk. The cylinder seems to get hot about as fast as the exhaust pipe, and I did pull the exhaust and the piston/ Cylinder walls looked good still. I'm running yamalube at like 25 to1. The guys that bored it said to run it a little rich during break in. And yea no air leaks

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Running a PWK39? If so, that's also what I'm running. Somewhere on here are my jetting specs for this machine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts