Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all.. ive only owned my zilla for a month or so, but ive been thinking its geared a bit high... it always seems like my 1st gear is too tall.. so i counted the teeth, and i noticed its 14/38.. stock is 13/40 for an 88+, and 13/42 for a 87.. since going up a tooth in front is like 4 in the back, plus the back was dropped to a 38.. this must make a huge difference in gearing, right?

if i put it back to stock, or dropped to say a 12/42.. would that be geared too low? what do you guys think.. acceleration is the most i'm concerned with.. ireally dont do top-end stuff much here in new england.. all trail riding.

any input would be appreciated.. thanks!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
14/38 is quite a jump. if you do a lot of trail riding I'd just put it back to stock gearing, whichever year you have.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It's easier to switch the front so I'd return it to stock and buy 2 front sprockets. One w/ 1 tooth over stock and one w/ 1 tooth under stock. Take them where you ride. I know that primary drive makes steel sprokets that are under 8 US $. -Mark

·
Registered
48 Posts
I do exactly what Reeper said I carry an extra front gear and change it depending on what I am ridding. Can change them in a few minutes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
help

hey guys my gearing is 13/42, and i have bald 21x10x10 dunlop tires they spin through all gears as long as you hold throttle open. i am going to go with 22x11x10 holeshots for the extra clearance for trailriding (not many big dunes in florida) what do you think about this setup. i think the moter has some stuff done to it, im a new owner it does have k&n fmf fatty and silencer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If your bike is a 87 you have stock gearing. I have a 1990 with 13/40 and run 22 Holeshot XCTs with a UNI and CT pipe system and it pulls it great.

·
Premium Member
8,580 Posts
I wouldn't run a zilla with less than 50% tread on the tires just because they like to spin the tires. With bald tires that would just be rediculous to ride. I think you will be happy with the holeshots. You might also look at some Razr II's or Realtors if you can find a set. Realtors are really popular on Zilla's or atleast the ones that I have seen. They have a paddle design for dirt and they hook like crazy. I have them on my banshee right now and it was lifting the front end on a trail covered in wet leaves. ALso good for riding in snow if you just reverse them.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Apher said:
I do exactly what Reeper said I carry an extra front gear and change it depending on what I am ridding. Can change them in a few minutes.
how is this easy? i think it would be more of a pain to change the front sprocket just because of a terrain change.

jason, your calculator says my 500 can go 102 mph! that must be with a tail wind and down hill!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I checked my gearing I have 14/42 on mine with 20" tires and it pulls very hard through all gears. I have a traction problem myself and was looking at realotors myself sound like the tire for quadzilla.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The very few Zillas around here Ive seen run 20 inch ITP Blackwaters and they seem to love them.. I got my new rear Holeshot HD yesterday so I'll see how those work out..

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey all.. ive only owned my zilla for a month or so, but ive been thinking its geared a bit high... it always seems like my 1st gear is too tall.. so i counted the teeth, and i noticed its 14/38.. stock is 13/40 for an 88+, and 13/42 for a 87.. since going up a tooth in front is like 4 in the back, plus the back was dropped to a 38.. this must make a huge difference in gearing, right?

if i put it back to stock, or dropped to say a 12/42.. would that be geared too low? what do you guys think.. acceleration is the most i'm concerned with.. ireally dont do top-end stuff much here in new england.. all trail riding.

any input would be appreciated.. thanks!
Tooth in front is 2 in the back...not 4

1 - 16 of 16 Posts