Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am somewhat new to riding 2 strokes. I have a completely worked 06 400ex but I wanted a 2 stroke to rip around on so I picked up a 91 250 quadracer. It runs great (new OEM cylinder and OEM piston). I had my local mechanic replace the crank seals a few months back and he said the motor runs great and really strong. Anyways, I took it out for the first time yesterday and had a blast but I got to tell you. My feet and hands are sore from all the vibration this thing puts out at high revs.

Everything has been torqued and tightened but the vibration is a killer compared to my 400ex.

Are there any tricks to cut the vibration in the handle bars. For my feet, I was thinking of installing some rubber bushings where the step pegs bolt to the frames.

Will a steering stabilizer stop the handle bar vibration?

Any ideas?
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
it will help, but a cheap thing I've heard of trying, is to go buy a spray can of that "great stuff" expanding foam, and spray that into the hole in the end of the bars till it comes out the other side, let it dry out, and then cut the excess off and put the grips back on. Never tried it, but I hear it helps

·
point thief
2,006 Posts
i dont know for sure, but it almost sounds like your counterballancer is off, least thats what i think.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with tecateboy, bacause mine doesn't vibrate that bad, it does some I guess but not as bad as you discribe and I rape mine like there's no tomorrow, if you're in doubt put the thing at tdc, take the chutch cover off and make sure your timing dots are lined up on the crank and the balancer, if it is not fix it becauseit can cause a premature break down, and I sure you don't wanna be singn' the 2stroke blues.

·
Lost Thoughts
391 Posts
i agree with tecateboy and scottqracerrider...my coundter balance key sheared once and man that was a vibration machine after that. just take the clutch cover off and find out what happen

·
point thief
2,006 Posts
vibrating machine, sorta sounds like my tecate, cuz mine is one of the pre counterballanced ones...

·
Lost Thoughts
391 Posts
when the counterbalance goes..its probably worse..lol..but one with no counterbalance probably sucks too

·
point thief
2,006 Posts
its not the worst under the powerband, and when you get to the top of the powerband, but when you are right in between that it sucks balls cuz your hands go numb, your feet go numb:p and iv had my gf complain about her ass going numb when shes riding with me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yepl Crank bearings are fine. Tight and no play at all. Maybe its just me since I am use to my 400ex. I am going to try the great stuff idea in the handlebars.

Thanks!

·
Registered
855 Posts
not to disagree with anyone on this but im pretty sure the counterbalancer is fine.......problem is ill bet 50.00 that the main bearings are spinning. It causes massive vibration. I had this happen on one of my lt250r's. Even if he did say the motor was tight. Even if he did put in brand new bearings he may of thought they went in easy by pushing it in. But it will spin and cause vibration. New bearings or not it will cause vibration.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If just one those dots on the gear set or crank is of by one tooth to counterbalance the motor then it will vibrate excessively. Since your mechanic removed the gear on the crank I would drain the oil and pull the clutch cover and check those dots. If it buzzes and everthing is rattling you have a problem especially if you can't feel your hands after you ride it or even for christsake your feet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yea i dont know cause yall talking about vibration on your 250's but i guess i just have a good ass set of bars er something lol i dont have any viration lol i rode my buddys banshee and i had that problem but otherwise mine is calm as ever god i love it lol but maybe its cause im used to having my hand on the twist throttle but idk hope you get it fixed

·
Registered
979 Posts
a lot of it could be to that you are use to riding a nice new cushy 400 ex and you are now riding a 91 lt250....it's like driving an escalade then getting into a bronco 2.....your just going to feel different because it is old (things wear out) and it is a different kind of monster....

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I would bet my left testicle the timiing marks are off. I lined up my gear marks and not the crank mark once and it did what you said,made my hands numb. A correctly assembled lt250r shouldnt rattle that bad. It is very very easy to overlook the 3rd mark.especialy since books like my clymer manual dont even mention the crank timing mark. I would bet anything your mechanic didnt line it up right

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not exactly sure how it works but the part with the marks can be put on incorrectly. I bought mine with a gnarly vibration. It ended up rattling the light and nerf bars off. I checked the marks and the all lined up perfectly. I thought for sure the crank was the cuplrit. So I pulled the motor and took it to my motor guy. I told him what is was doing and he said you can put one part in the back on backwards and the marks will line up but the balancer is still off. I think you have to split the case to get this part, but once it was fixed if ran very smooth. Mine is smoother than a YZ450 (Bike not an quad). Anyways hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts