Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey this is my first post here, i bought a cheap 86 lt250r a couple months back without the ownership. I was riding with my two buddies yesterday when two cops on atvs stopped us,after talking to them for a while they wanted to check all our vin numbers (mainly mine because he thought my lt looked fishy lol). So after sending in the vins and them all coming back clean he gave me a 325 dollar fine for no insurance and told me i have one week to get proof of ownership or else hes going to show up at my house to take it away. Is he allowed to come to my house to take it away? I know he had every right to impound it yesterday but now that im home and my lt is here can he still come and take it next week? If so how can i go about getting an ownership for it? He was saying something about getting an affidavit. All i got with my quad was a bill of sale the guy wrote me up. Sorry for the long first post i dont wanna lose my 250 i love this thing.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Are you in Ontario, CAN or Ontario, California?

Did you have the BOS with you when the cops questioned you?

In the US, it doesn't take much to get a vehicle titled -- just some time & little bit of $'s. You will have to go to a title agency with your BOS and get a title generated. Then go to the BMV with your title and get it registered in your name. If you're in California, that's probably a more involved process since they just LOOOOVE to make rules. lol

Check your local laws on ATVs. If you're required to prove ownership by law, and you were given a ticket + instructions, the judge may be able to put some kind of an "impound warrant" out to recover the vehicle due to the infraction and outstanding requirement. If you can't prove ownership, they'd have to assume it isn't yours. That's why a lot of bare frames come with titles. Even if you build one from the frame up, there is still a paper trail of ownership.

·
Vendor
1,500 Posts
Starv; Most every state is screwed up with their rules. I’d recommend turning things around & going to the police station with the VIN & see if they can trace it for you. I think worst case is the guy who you bought it from might be headed for the slammer.
If you go around the patrol man you’d probably get this straightened out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im from ontario canada. I didnt have my bill of sale with me when he questioned me. They already traced the vin number though the quad isnt stolen. I guess ill just head down to the dmv today and see if i can get it all figured out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts