Everything2Stroke Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 87 quadracer and i just installed a new clutch, clutch basket, clutch spring, and cable and i am having a hard time adjusting it. when i hold in the clutch it slams in to first and dies out. i have been messing around with the adjustment and i cant figure it out. im wondering if anybody else has had this problem and how can i fix it. thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
What did it doing before you replaced the clutch, something similar or just slipping? Did you remember to put the washer on between the basket and the hub? That will cause you similar problems, they sometimes wear out also which is why I asked what it did previous to the new parts. If you need to take it back apart make sure the hub and basket spin independently of each other.

A few other things to consider are soaking the plates prior to installation like Shifter mentioned and having the clutch arm at the 11:00 o'clock position when you are looking down on it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
1. Make sure all the parts are accounted for by comparing to a factory schematic

2. Make sure all the parts are installed correctly.

3. Make sure you've got the clutch case cover installed correctly so the clutch shaft gear meshes with the worm gear stud sticking out of the clutch hub. ALSO make sure the shifter shaft pawl is in the right position on the clutch side (on main case).

4. When you re-install the clutch throw arm (on top the clutch case), loosen the cable as loose as it can be, turn the shaft CCW as far as it will go, and the slide the little lever on the splines in the 11-o-clock position (standing on the clutch side of the bike, facing bike, looking down). You want to make sure you are getting a "full pull" on the clutch when the cable is pulled.

5. Adjust the cable at the case adjustment nut until the hand lever (on bars) only has like 1/8" wiggle. Pull the hand lever and watch the throw lever work back'n'forth, AND make sure you've got a solid feel to the hand lever. Should pull in smooth without too much effort, and then spring back to having that same 1/8" or less wiggle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts