Everything2Stroke Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
I was thinking about this last night, these kind of problems bug the crap out of me, and thought of a couple other things. First thing is if I remember right the coil grounds to the frame so I'd check that and make sure you are getting a good ground. The other thing I wanted to mention is besides the cdi all the other electrical components will switch over from any year lt250r to the zilla. You should see if your buddy will let you borrow his quad for a couple days and just start switching stuff over.

None of it is hard to do but you need two special tools for the stator, the flywheel puller I mentioned and an impact screwdriver for the screws that hold the stator plate on. If you had those two tools you could switch everything out in a few hours easy. If you need to loosen the screws on the pickup coil to adjust it or whatever do not use the impact driver unless you pull the stator off and brace it from behind. Made that mistake once, it's just an ear sticking out off the stator plate that the pickup coil attaches to with nothing behind it, I put the impact driver on it, gave it one hit and it broke right off. Turns out you can't buy just the plate either, I got lucky and found a used one.

If it turns out your cdi is bad let me know before you buy one, pretty sure I know where I can get one cheap. A buddy of mine sold his zilla but the guy didn't want to buy the extra parts and I'm pretty certain he still has one.

Edit to add: If you pull the flywheel remember the threads that the puller screws into are left handed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks. I'll try to get over there today and get his parts. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the info. This is royally frustrating!

I was thinking about this last night, these kind of problems bug the crap out of me, and thought of a couple other things. First thing is if I remember right the coil grounds to the frame so I'd check that and make sure you are getting a good ground. The other thing I wanted to mention is besides the cdi all the other electrical components will switch over from any year lt250r to the zilla. You should see if your buddy will let you borrow his quad for a couple days and just start switching stuff over.

None of it is hard to do but you need two special tools for the stator, the flywheel puller I mentioned and an impact screwdriver for the screws that hold the stator plate on. If you had those two tools you could switch everything out in a few hours easy. If you need to loosen the screws on the pickup coil to adjust it or whatever do not use the impact driver unless you pull the stator off and brace it from behind. Made that mistake once, it's just an ear sticking out off the stator plate that the pickup coil attaches to with nothing behind it, I put the impact driver on it, gave it one hit and it broke right off. Turns out you can't buy just the plate either, I got lucky and found a used one.

If it turns out your cdi is bad let me know before you buy one, pretty sure I know where I can get one cheap. A buddy of mine sold his zilla but the guy didn't want to buy the extra parts and I'm pretty certain he still has one.

Edit to add: If you pull the flywheel remember the threads that the puller screws into are left handed.

·
Super Moderator
6,688 Posts
was the cylinder ported? isn't the squish band on the head something that should be re-angled by a machine shop.. don't know much about zilla's…also my bro had a blaster that wouldn't rev out he was ready to light the bike on fire… turns out the trigger wire that connects to the coil was corroded hit with some white scotch brite and a little electrical grease and walla the bike woke up...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just keep asking questions, as there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum. Here is a cleaned up wiring diagram of the LT500:

Also, just wanted to agree that a 50 pilot is crazy huge. 22.5 is stock on these, and after having a good setup, you get up to 27.5, 30.0, 32.5 range for the Mikuni carb. Those are the most common sizes on the pilots.

You should also verify that you have an OEM stator. The Ricky Stator version is bad...... from timing marks to making physical contact on the fly wheel..... lots of different issues.

I got lucky and picked up a full spare set of OEM electronics from eBay years ago. Once your running good, then you can swap in the components one at a time to verify that you have good working backup parts.

You can do some testing of the CDI. The service manual has the following chart:

Good Luck.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts