Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 1988 lt250r has lost compression. It takes forever to crank it and I kick it with ease. I've had problems with the head gasket sealing before so I'm wondering If that is it or if its due for a rebuild. Once I get it cranked it runs good but it still feels a little low on power

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Could be crank seals on either side of the crank as well. If you dont know the last time she had rings, I would hone the cylinder and slap some new rings on there.
That is if your cylinder walls don't look like wolverine gouged them

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Just read that again, if it's noticeably easier to kick your rings are poop. As others said do compression test but I would just plan on a rebu

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a compression test and it was around 125psi. But when I kick it it almost seems like I have to kick it for 15 minutes to get the thing running and when it does finally start it like barely runs and slowly idles up until you can rev it. No matter how much gas you give it. It will either slowly idle up or itll bog and die. I plan on taking the head off Friday and checking it. I've had problems with the head gasket sealing ,but I had the cylinder off not too long ago and the cylinder looked fine (not scarred up)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you know how to check the left crank seal for leaks? Make sure your carburetor jets aren't clogged, especially the idle jet. Strip the plastic off of a bread tie and then stick that up into the idle jet to clear it of debris.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No but it probably needs it. I just changed the right crank seal not too long ago because it went bad so it wouldn't surprise me if the other crank seal went out

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did a compression test and it was around 125psi. But when I kick it it almost seems like I have to kick it for 15 minutes to get the thing running and when it does finally start it like barely runs and slowly idles up until you can rev it. No matter how much gas you give it. It will either slowly idle up or itll bog and die. I plan on taking the head off Friday and checking it. I've had problems with the head gasket sealing ,but I had the cylinder off not too long ago and the cylinder looked fine (not scarred up)
125 is low but generally not too low for a bike to give you that much trouble. It sounds really rich by what you’re describing. Seems the engine is flooding trying to crank it that much. Check the plug too, could be as simple as an erratic spark. Use the choke and hit the gas when you kick it. It might help it fire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts