Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Data loggers are great but often you get the data too late especially in a 2 stroke. When you get back to the pits, you can see that the CHT rose every lap by XX degrees and was at max just before the back wheel locked up. I've made a CHT/EGT analog display that gives real time data in an easy to see instrument. It is small and so can be fitted easily to any bike or kart.

What I would like is anyone with real data from CHTs and EGTs from specific engines so I can get an idea on the range of temperatures that are actually being measured.

About the only CHTs I can find is for Rotax Aircraft engines and that is between 180 and 220 deg C.
I'm guessing that most air cooled engines are similar, hence the posting.

Water temperatures are around 60 deg c, but does anyone have an idea on what the plug temperature would be. I'm sure the plug temperature rises more quickly than the water temp does.

I'm hoping that my monitoring EGT and CHT live, deto and seizing can be avoided.

So if you have some actual reliable data, can you post it please with the motor it was measured on.

Once I have data sorted, I'll be selling the units.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On my Suzuki AX100 2 stroke street bike the EGT was 600C WOT (Its main jet was just right). This engine starts to lose power at a head temperature of around 290 degrees F which happens often here when the weather is hot. My setup was a thermal washer under the spark plug. It had a non-squish head, just a dome, which typically runs cooler at the center of the head but hotter at the piston. Later I had it modded to have squish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. 290 is around 145 deg c. With the old head, there were two option to try, run a but richer or retard the spark on hot days. Did the EGT temp drop when the head temp rose ?

What was the changes in temps with the squished head ?

The CHT/EGT project is still on my bench. Tisk Tisk. Your bike would have made a great test bed. I only have one 2 stroke for the road, but seldom ride it so difficult to test my display. . Something I need to change.

One of my prototypes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I tested the EGT it was just a temporary setup using my digital voltmeter which had a temp probe with a small thermistor. After recording that temp I had the pipe hole welded shut. I can't answer any of your questions about the head temp. I went on to try ceramic coated pistons (at the top) but realized they eventually got just as hot. I think the problem was resolved when I modded the head to have squish which makes sense because one of the main purposes of squish bands is to lessen the heat going in to the piston.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts