Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy's 1998 mxc 200 started leaking oil from behind the front sprocket, so I replaced the stop ring and shaft seal ring in hopes that would fix it, but it is still leaking. I made sure to put them in facing the same way the old ones came out, and I tapped the shaft seal ring flush with the outside of the case. Should this piece slide back in as far as it will go, or should it just be flush? Any ideas on what I could have done wrong, or what else would be causing this?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Most of the time the seals should be just a hair past flush, if you installed a new seal and it's still leaking it's possible the shaft is worn, did you put grease inside the lips of the seal?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did not put grease on it, but I should be able to get reach in behind it and apply right? The shaft may be worn, but it is stable, no wobble in it at all. The sprocket does have a little wiggle, not from the shaft, but in and out, between the snap ring and where it seats on the back of the shaft. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Try filling the lipps of the seal with grease, pack it in there, see if that stops it or at least slows it down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks man, I will get it apart tomorrow night and let you know how it works out. Will just regular wheel bearing grease do it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So.... today, down in the basement taking the front sprocket back off to pack the grease and push it a little further in, and I had a strange feeling to look at the parts diagram ONE MORE TIME, and I did....... I forgot a damn o-ring. I am so ashamed. Not absolutely sure it has stopped leaking yet, but I have a pretty good idea that missing o-ring had something to do with it. But I did pack some grease in it too just for good measure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts