Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 450R chassis that needs very little outside of engine work. I plan to drop the engine for a 2 stroke. My options at this point are a banshee engine (don't want to deal with 2x cylinders), 250cc dirt bike engine (haven't seen as much aftermarket stuff for these as I'd like to have seen to decide on one), CR500 (people say they have nightmares fighting vibrations) or the KTM360/380 or a built 250r engine.

I want a bike that makes 55-60 hp. I've been on a 70+hp banshee that was a little too much for my taste, and I have mine with T-5s, PD/uni, and airbox holes and w/o the snorkel (40hp-ish?), but I need a little more than that. I ride woods, do some unsanctioned drag races, ride in a little sand, and do an occasional highway pull. I really like the powerband of my banshee, but I just need more power everywhere before I can keep up with the built quads that my friends ride. I know that a basically stock banshee's powerband isn't ideal for the woods, but I'm very comfortable with it.

With the KTM, I'd likely only do a custom pipe and port clean up. With the 250R, I'd likely do a CP 330+cc kit with a +2-4mm carb (can't remember what they are stock) and port and pipe it for mid-top end power. For cost effectiveness and practicality, what do you guys recommend? If anyone has a reasonable alternative, I'll take those suggestions as well.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If it were mine I think I would go with the 250R engine. It has a counter balancer so there would be no problems with vibration and there are still allot of after market parts available. Maybe look into getting the banshee ported for a bit more power?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well as far as the banshee, it's project in the works. It's been put off several times, but it will see flotek soon enough :NodYes:

As far as the swap is concerned, what would parts be involved in a reliable 55-60hp 250R on pump gas with a broad powerband? I know it'll require a bit of work and larger displacement, hence my concern for reliability. That's where the KTM comes in. I saw an article a few years back where the dyno showed 49.9whp on a stock 380. Port clean up and a pipe and airbox mods would put me at or over my goal, or at least I think so.

I am leaning towards a 330-350cc 250r swap though. I've read CPi makes great stuff.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never knew the 440 existed. That's incredible! I have had a problem finding any big KTM 2-stroke; seems like everyone that has one doesn't want to part with it, but I am still searching. As far as my budget, I wouldn't say that it's unlimited, but I can achieve a build within 6 months. Reliability is key. I don't want a rocket that I have to rebuild every 6 months-year. I'd rather have less power and ride it forever. My dad is the original owner of a 94 banshee with the factory hone makrs in the cylinders, so I know that these things will last with care.

Now, would a built BB 250R engine be as reliable as a slightly modified big ktm? Keep in mind the goal of 55-60hp.

Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
450 Posts
just make sure the KTM motors have balancers, if so then those would be good options since alot of parts are now discontinued for the 250r.
But the 250r is a great motor to build from

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had not considered the KTM counterbalancer before reading the above post. I looked for 380 counterbalancer parts/diagrams for about 15-20 minutes and didn't come up with anything. I assume this means that it doesn't have one. I'm about ready to just decide to go with a 250R. I've had it with trying to find any 300+ KTM. Should I also consider another engine? Maybe a YZ250 with an ESR 325 PV kit? I'm not necessarily suck on the big bore thing, I just want a wide powerband with a lot of power, which would typically mean a larger engine. Open to most any idea! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My current build is a bb 250r motor in a 2005 trx450r chassis. Only problems I have ran into so far is the 450 radiator is to tall for the 250r exhaust to pass by so I'm going to run a 250r radiator to clear it. Should be a easy mod. And the carb doesn't have a clear path to the air box because the upper rear shock mount cross member is slightly in the way. Gonna need some fabrication for that so it depends on ur resources to fix that. I have a build thread on trx250r.net. I'll probably start one here.

http://www.trx250r.net/forum/project-quads/23061-2005-hybrid-build.html

Nick

·
Registered
189 Posts
Never knew the 440 existed. That's incredible! I have had a problem finding any big KTM 2-stroke; seems like everyone that has one doesn't want to part with it, but I am still searching. As far as my budget, I wouldn't say that it's unlimited, but I can achieve a build within 6 months. Reliability is key. I don't want a rocket that I have to rebuild every 6 months-year. I'd rather have less power and ride it forever. My dad is the original owner of a 94 banshee with the factory hone makrs in the cylinders, so I know that these things will last with care.

Now, would a built BB 250R engine be as reliable as a slightly modified big ktm? Keep in mind the goal of 55-60hp.

Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming!
none of the ktm engines had counter balancer and the old ones are impossible to find parts for. your better off with 250r and a bigger cylinder on it

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'll keep everyone posted when I do obtain an engine for the thing :Smoke:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I ran acrossed the 440 when kinda looking for a 300exc. Quick look on egay showed few parts for it :BeatHorse:
Though it was pretty cheap, under $1500, looked good tho. If I run acrossed it I'll give ya the linc. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
alot of parts for them old ktm and no longer available new. ya theres still some used stuff on ebay but alot of it is worn out junk. hell just to get a rod i think the only person that has any is a dude in germany and its like $300. all the transmission gears are obsolete. still some on ebay but arent in that great of shape. the shifting mechanism parts are no longer available new. if your dead set on a ktm i would check into the 380 and its parts availability. chances are it would have about the same power and torq as a 440 but it has a powervalve so youll probly have alittle better power spread. another thing is the 440 has the chain and kickstarter on opposite side of the jap engines. still i think your better off staying with honda stuff simply because theres more spare parts floating around

·
Registered
330 Posts
eliminate all of this nonsense, and put a suzuki engine in it, those guys still make brand new oem parts and are reasonably priced. With the right mods to the engine these things really last. just my two cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts