Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are they any good? might go trade my yz 125 for one. i know they are the most powerful factory bike ever built just want to know if they are a decent machine and if it would be possible to turn it into a street machine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Would be a hell of a street bike.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Don't quote me on this but I think everything on the old big-bore ktm's is on the opposite sides like kicker on the left chain on the right. They look like sick bikes though if you can get parts when they break down.

·
Old School but still Cool
2,844 Posts
Parts have gotten to be a problem for those. Especially the 495 beast. If you want a dual purpose bike get an early 80s XL 600. Those thumpers could do it all. Weren't all that awesome for hard core off road stuff but you could ride it to the dirt and have a little fun. Old MX bikes aren't all that good converted for dual purpose duties. Another awesome bike was the Yamaha XT 200. You can see one in the movie Rambo when Rambo is running from the sheriff through town and into the country.

Here is a nice XL 250: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-XR250-Enduro-XR250L-XR250R-Street-Legal-Dirt-Bike-/390200516275?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item5ad9c35eb3

And here is Yamaha I wouldn't turn down if I was in the market for something that can do it all: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-XT-350-dualsport-road-and-trail-enduro-/220613594107?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item335d984bfb

These things would be dependable enough to get you there and back.

·
Live to Ride-Ride to Live
3,139 Posts
Parts have gotten to be a problem for those. Especially the 495 beast. If you want a dual purpose bike get an early 80s XL 600. Those thumpers could do it all. Weren't all that awesome for hard core off road stuff but you could ride it to the dirt and have a little fun. Old MX bikes aren't all that good converted for dual purpose duties. Another awesome bike was the Yamaha XT 200. You can see one in the movie Rambo when Rambo is running from the sheriff through town and into the country.

Here is a nice XL 250: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-XR250-Enduro-XR250L-XR250R-Street-Legal-Dirt-Bike-/390200516275?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item5ad9c35eb3

And here is Yamaha I wouldn't turn down if I was in the market for something that can do it all: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-XT-350-dualsport-road-and-trail-enduro-/220613594107?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item335d984bfb

These things would be dependable enough to get you there and back.
I agree.
I would go with a honda for a dual purpose bike for sure, any of the xl's are great bike. My dad has had a few and his friends, indestructible bikes!!!! They are heavy and old school but the 600's are quick and torquey for what they are.

I would NOT want anything smaller then a 400 for on and off road my bro has a tw200 and its an absolute TURD, as ball-less as my blaster is it will do circles around it, hes gone through 2 head gaskets because he has to keep it pinned just to do 60 on the highway.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i traded my yz for the ktm. its a pretty sweet bike! just gotta get a chain, kill switch, and grips. its an 85 and its a 5 speed. now i just need to find out where to get parts and everything for it.

·
Supporting Member
352 Posts
well i traded my yz for the ktm. its a pretty sweet bike! just gotta get a chain, kill switch, and grips. its an 85 and its a 5 speed. now i just need to find out where to get parts and everything for it.
I went and looked at the one I spoke of earlier. Its an 86, bike was overall pretty rough and I really dont want to get into restoring a bike like that at this time.
What kind of parts you need? I am still considering purchasing the bike and parting it.

Mike

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i got all of my parts basically but i think i need a carb rebuild kit and the rear tire is kind of flat because the tube is shot i think. i tried puting fix-a-flat in it but havent tried the bike since cause ive been busy. she's a pretty bawlsy bike!!!!! i know i was for sure going over 70 in my field and i was barely in 5th gear and the front end wanted to come up also!!

not gonna make it a street bike cause its way too hard to kick over. just keep it as a dirt bike and scare myself.

i picked up an 85 by the way.

·
Registered
281 Posts
fix a flat SUCKS. this is what you want

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i will get a picture soon. just been busy with everything else to actually do some stuff to it. think im just gonna go get a tube for it and put it in so i can actually ride it. unless that slime stuff really works good i might have to try that stuff.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haven't had time to get a picture posted yet but i gotta know if anyone knows where i can get a carb rebuild kit for this. otherwise im gonna try making a mikuni tm38 fit. i know the carb will work but i just gotta make it fit the intake boot and the airbox boot. the carb is smaller than the boots.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ive used slime on quite a few things. so far so good. last 2 things was a dirtbike tire that deflated in an hour, permanently fixed, and my 3 wheeler tires that bled down in 2 days. held air for a year and a half, until i traded it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts