Everything2Stroke Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a 1995 KTM 300 EXC sitting in his barn that I want. He said "it keeps shearing flywheel keys". He put a new one in it now, but it needs the timing sent. What all is required to set the timing on these things? He said theres an adjustable plate that has a lot of adjustment, and he had it in the middle previously and it ran decent but he felt it was lacking power with that setting, than what it was set at before he replaced the key. What would cause it to kill flywheel keys? I mean, I understand HOW it happens, but it shouldnt happen so often, ya know?

·
Registered
189 Posts
check a service manual. im not sure on the 300 but on the 500 you have to mark the stator position prior to removal otherwise if you dont, you have to use a degree wheel or dial indicator to get it set correct. he could have bigger issues though. after his flywheel sheared the key several times it might of messed up the taper of the shafts, not allowing it to seat properly on the crank. diagnosing problems on the keyboard is nearly impossible

1 - 3 of 3 Posts